• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great British Menu 3

Has anyone eaten at his restaurant and have you come away feeling healthier??

Yes and no.

What did you think of the food, leaving the health aspect aside?

I had the worst meal i have ever had at the bath priory, admittedly it was Jan 07, but i think i would need to be paid to eat his food again, most disappointing meal and whole experience i ever have had in a restaurant!

everything was poor from food to service but what i really remember is the soggy apple and pear crisps on the dessert!!!

re Chris Horridge, had one gorgeous meal there then one totally marred by waitstaff just round the corner whining about treatment by the kitchen, however on a personal note, our son was 16 three years ago and after a day in the kitchen Chris gave him a job...later that week son was told he had a place at a 2 star mich. resto....he rang Chris and told him, said he didn't want to let him down...Chris immediately said that if he gave away the michelin job he would boot him up the arse as it was a chance in a lifetime.....seems like a pretty decent guy to me...

god i hope that ballbag doesn't win tonight

If i see his face again go "is that the future of british cooking" then pull downturned mouth "i dunno" i'm going to throw my turkey twizzler at the telly

patronising mongtard

Buy that twizler aim and fire...........you're not going to be happy and make sure you have a stock of twizlers for the final meal at the Gerkin. :wink: Unfortunately "ballbag" has a really big gob ( allegedly ). :cool:

Edited by erica graham (log)

http://www.allium.uk.net

http://alliumfood.wordpress.com/ the alliumfood blog

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Sarah Poli, Firenze, Kibworth Beauchamp

problem is despite all his irritating talk of antioxidants and nutrition, he turns out very attractive looking plates, if they taste good too, elisha's in trouble.

and people thought tony flinn was full of himself? :laugh: at least he's not claiming to have invented a new cuisine.

you don't win friends with salad

problem is despite all his irritating talk of antioxidants and nutrition, he turns out very attractive looking plates, if they taste good too, elisha's in trouble.

and people thought tony flinn was full of himself?  :laugh: at least he's not claiming to have invented a new cuisine.

Very beautiful plates indeed, but you have to wonder why the foodie community aren't talking about and heading to the restaurant in any great number.

My guess? His food suffers from blandness due to his over focus on the nutritional side.

Buy that twizler aim and fire...........you're not going to be happy and make sure you have a stock of twizlers for the final meal at the Gerkin.  :wink: Unfortunately "ballbag" has a really big gob ( allegedly ). :cool:

Oh say it ain't so

I know they edit stuff to make people how they want to appear but he doesn't come across very well at all and puts me right off ever wanting to taste his food, in fact it makes me want to eat the most fat ladened deep fried food i can find.

I don't go out to eat in restaurants to be healed and purified, i go out to have a treat and maybe if i'm lucky a row with the missus, besides how good can a meal be for you when i've done 3 martinis by the time the amuse bouche comes

Oh say it ain't so

Hmmm... I don't know what to say really....sorry!! :unsure:

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

I think Chris Horridge's dishes certainly looked prettier (almost too pretty), and in today's final with less time for the preaching it was a lot less off-putting; some of them actually sounded quite nice.

I can't say that I'm going to be beating a path to his door though (and if I do end up there he's going to have to cater for someone who is 'milk substitute intolerant').

I agree that CHs dishes look attractive. The items that grate are the bits of slate he serves them on (which probably have very limited heat retention qualities) and his personality-as-presented-by-tv :blink: .

Petrus

NNNNOOOOO!!!!! Ballbag wins

Well i know where i'll be eating next time i'm down in the south west (Nathan Outlaw) but after that i'd rather Elisha's than giving money to preacherman

Didn't get to see it- how did they both react?

Presentation (the slate) and insistance on foraging reminded me of Marc Veyrat, and isn't stardust a typical Heston move? And somebody else who used it. Hardly groundbreaking?

But personally I thought his food was quite special. He has a right to be cocky.

Well i know where i'll be eating next time i'm down in the south west (Nathan Outlaw) but after that i'd rather Elisha's than giving money to preacherman

you might be disappointed....from my limited experience (twice) Elisha's food deserves much more than the mediocre surroundings and service in which it is presented. IMO he should find a better sponsor for his obvious talents...

you might be disappointed....from my limited experience (twice) Elisha's food deserves much more than the mediocre surroundings and service in which it is presented. IMO he should find a better sponsor for his obvious talents...

Our experience mirrors yours. We ate at Charlton House a few weeks ago and whilst we thought the cooking was good a lot of the others factors that make up a good meal were missing. Entirely agree with the "mediocre surroundings," which is especially weird given it is owned by Mulberry (a british design icon)?.

However, my main criticism was the balance of the dishes in the degustation menu - too much "garnish' for the protein. Almost as though the costly component of each dish was scaled back to fit it into the menu format.

It was "good" to see Elisha promote Spelt and all the other products of his patron (Roger & Monty Saul)...!

I was thinking of trying CH's GBM dishes, but at £66 a head, but my CFO won't agree - especially as his manner and healthy menu irritated the hell out of her - not all publicity is good.

Edited by PhilD (log)

Presentation (the slate) and insistance on foraging reminded me of Marc Veyrat, and isn't stardust a typical Heston move? And somebody else who used it. Hardly groundbreaking?

But personally I thought his food was quite special. He has a right to be cocky.

call me old fashinoned but i do rather like that invention they call plates which keep food from running onto your table cloth, holds heat and doesnt normally have nail holes through them,not to mention washing plus i need the tiles for my roof it gets windy around here, im sure many chefs on here will agree space dust really really is not new anymore ive been using it off and on since 2000 :wink:

i wont be rushing to bath priory if i want the healthy option il pop over to eugene les bains :biggrin:

I won't be rushing to bath priory if i want the healthy option il pop over to eugene les bains  :biggrin:

I was thinking the same, i wonder how much is influenced by guerard's cuisine minceur, or even the late bernard losieau's cuisine de l'eau. (favourite quote-ish from bocuse on seeing a stream with loiseau - 'look bernard all that stock is going to waste!')

on the one hand i think his food looks interesting but then again i can't really see me driving all the way to bath to eat diet food, and i'd have to go by myself, mrs m wasn't keen on the preaching and when he threw away elisha's tomato sauce (a mrs m favourite), that was the final straw.

Edited by Gary Marshall (log)

mrs m wasn't keen on the preaching and when he threw away elisha's tomato sauce (a mrs m favourite), that was the final straw.

I have a few recipes from MPW that uses Heinz`s finest.

He is also has a leaning towards salad cream!!

John Campbell uses tomato ketchup in his spiced lentals recipe (Formulas for Flavour)

For what it`s worth.........Chris Horridge, what a cock!!!!!!!!!!!

mrs m wasn't keen on the preaching and when he threw away elisha's tomato sauce (a mrs m favourite), that was the final straw.

John Campbell uses tomato ketchup in his spiced lentals recipe (Formulas for Flavour)

And dare I say hypocrite? Unless he's making his own pop rocks, Mr "no lactose, no sugar" has sugar, lactose and corn syrup in his dessert :hmmm:

I hate to draw attention from that legitimate target. But I went to the Three Fishes today and saw how Nigel Howarth is working his TV appearance into his business.

2486049047_7538453a9f.jpg

and tried that dessert...

2486049053_9e27b6b82c.jpg

If had made that Lancashire curd tart, I would have been depressed, very, very depressed.

It had no redeeming qualities, none.

Edited by adey73 (log)

Oui!

I hate to draw attention from that legitimate target. But I went to the Three Fishes today and saw how Nigel Howarth is working his TV appearance into his business.

If had made that Lancashire curd tart, I would have been depressed, very, very depressed.

let's not forget amid all this talk of wanting to win, the honour of cooking for the wolrds greatest etc etc, at the end of day everyone is on the show to put bums on seats.

Is that a glace cherry?