• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great British Menu 3

I would suspect that andrew fairlie & martin wishart etc haven't been 'overlooked' they probably turned it down

I know for a fact, that Martin wasn`t asked.

He has just opened a cook school round the corner from his restaurant, so he is into abit of self-promotion just now :wink:

he should have a word then, as long as he's got something more ambitious than smoked salmon up his sleeve!

you don't win friends with salad

I think they have been showing more of the food and techniques as the (pre-) series has progressed from episodes 2 - 3 - 4. Good trend.

Has anyone seen the future schedule for the series? It would seem natural to have it on BBCs website, but I couldn't find it.

I was slightly confused by Hartnetts inclusion the other day, i wasnt at all interested in that menu she gave. And today, i would much rather have had the chap from the lock instead of kochar, wasn't at all impressed compared to what hes put out before.

Whilst the format irritates (the constant repetition of past scenes) it is good to watch Sat Bains and Glynn Purnell cooking this week (is that Steven Wallis lasts years Master Chef winner in the background?).

Looks like some good, interesting food, and two really genuine personalities.

Wish I lived closer to the midlands, however looking forward to trying Elisha Carter's food at Charlton house when I get a chance. If nothing else GBM3 has opened our eyes up to some great chefs.

it is good to watch Sat Bains and Glynn Purnell cooking this week (is that Steven Wallis lasts years Master Chef winner in the background?).

Looks like some good, interesting food, and two really genuine personalities.

Good spot, I thought it was him too, but didn't really watch last years series of Master Chef. What a great job for him to land though.

I missed yesterdays episode, but heard that Glynn's dish was rather good. Thank you BBC iplayer, I'll catch up tonight.

I really rate this program. But I wondered why Purnell didn't use the fish version Transglutaminase to make his pike noodle rather than the flour & egg. His Noodles looked the worse for it like over cooked udon.

I was wondering what kind of texture those noodles were. They looked like fat Udon but the buckwheat flour suggests a Soba feel. It's remarkable the difference in the kitchen demeanour of the two chefs, Sat is just too cool for school whereas Glyn is constant nervous energy.

Glad to see last year's Masterchef winner as Sat's sous. Looks like he's actually pursuing his culinary dreams, rather than media celebdom....

Glad to see last year's Masterchef winner as Sat's sous.  Looks like he's actually pursuing his culinary dreams, rather than media celebdom....

he must wake up every day and say i'm so glad i don't have a newspaper column, own tv show and central london restaurant to look after :laugh:

I'm really enjoying the series, though it is much better watched on sky + so you a) don't miss it and b) can fast forward through the intros.

I think sat has it sown up, glynn's food looks too outre, (though his enthusiasm is infectious) when from i can gather there's only matthew norman who actually likes modern cuisine the other judges aren't as keen.

only matthew norman who actually likes modern cuisine

Matthew Fort - M Norman has a bit more hair!

i can never remember which one it is, though i know they look completely different!

Matthew Norman is the one who writes amusingly, Matthew Fort is the one who writes about a subject he actually knows something about. Hope that helps.

only matthew norman who actually likes modern cuisine

Matthew Fort - M Norman has a bit more hair!

i can never remember which one it is, though i know they look completely different!

Matthew Norman is the one who writes amusingly, Matthew Fort is the one who writes about a subject he actually knows something about. Hope that helps.

I think the two gentlemen may be related. Pembroke Castle in Wales is just one example of a building which was at one time a Norman Fort. :smile:

I'm really enjoying this series too, way better than previous format (Jenny Bond in the kitchen), and the modern slant makes it so much more exciting. The pure 'British' brief had really run it's course. There's a great atmosphere in the kitchen with these two chefs, makes for great viewing. The noodle dish fascinated me. I thought it looked awful, but would love to try it out of curiousity. I can't see it winning but think Glynn is great for giving it a go. Very much in the spirit of the 'modern' brief.

I didn't think that much about Bain's monkfish cheek dish either. Monkfish cheeks three ways, a bit of pork belly and some micro greens. Well? It looked good on the plate (as opposed to the fish noodles...) but was there really any thought behind it?

Rabbit trifle? F*** me. (I know, I'm a bit late but its been a busy week).

That is one dish I thought I would like to try - really pushing the envelop which is good to see. I also thought Glynn's veal last night looked very good.

At Mugarittz I had a beef in a charcoal coating which this dish reminded me of, looks like he has extrapolated that in an interesting way.

I think Purnell's dishes are conceptually stronger and I can definately see the trifle being served at the big event. The only weak link is the pike. Apart from that, as long as the menu tastes as good as it looks, I reckon he's got it in the bag.

I think Purnell's dishes are conceptually stronger and I can definately see the trifle being served at the big event. The only weak link is the pike. Apart from that, as long as the menu tastes as good as it looks, I reckon he's got it in the bag.

Do you know something the others don't Andy. My moneys on the Ginger Chef................. :wink: