• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cupcake Caps

chefpeon

This is an interesting concept, especially considering that cupcakes are the trend du jour.

Cupcake Caps

Not sure how I feel about them. I might order a dozen just to see. They say they're NOT fondant, but the closest way to describe them would be to relate it to a marshmallow. Hmmmm. :hmmm:

Hmmm....I don't know if I want to order these, but it does give me an idea for using molds and pouring caps out of chocolate or colored white chocolate. I'm off to the cake decorating store to look at their selection of large round molds (I'm thinking maybe lollipop molds, although they are flat. Might have to try to make my own.)

Thanks for the link!

Not sure how I feel about them. I might order a dozen just to see. They say they're NOT fondant, but the closest way to describe them would be to relate it to a marshmallow.

Why not just make marshmallow and spread it into round molds? Would be a LOT cheaper and they will keep, if wrapped properly, for weeks. And - you can make them in many flavors, all natural.

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

Not sure how I feel about them. I might order a dozen just to see. They say they're NOT fondant, but the closest way to describe them would be to relate it to a marshmallow.

Why not just make marshmallow and spread it into round molds? Would be a LOT cheaper and they will keep, if wrapped properly, for weeks. And - you can make them in many flavors, all natural.

Eileen

Slightly OT but since you brought it up...:rolleyes:

Do you have a vegetarian-friendly marshmallow recipe? I made a batch substituting agar-agar for the gelatin and they didn't set up properly. Kosher gelatin won't work either because (I'm told) it's made from fish bones.

My next experiment was going to be pectin, but I thought I'd ask an expert.

The only reason I'd go for that look at all is for the convenience. If I made them myself, that sort of takes away the convenience factor. After a closer look, I've decided they don't look good enough to make them worth buying. The sports-themed ones are kinda cool, but the rest are just too one dimensional and lacking in color contrast for my taste.

It's funny what people will come up with. I salute the entrepreneurial spirit!