• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cafe Con Leche

Daniel

2346132797_a028af95c3.jpg

What can I say about this place.. I have a like/hate relationship with this place.. When its good, its only mildly annoying and fairly acceptable.. When its bad, it absolutely sucks. Its expensive, the service is always slow and off, the drinks always take too long.. On quick nights you get served drinks before your main arrives.. On slow nights, well who knows... And they insist on serving drinks in these ridiculous pineapples that you wait for them to core..

We arrived tonight in the pouring rain.. After 10 minutes of not seeing anyone, we are axed what we would like for dinner.. We place our orders and the waiting game begins..

A brief 15 minutes later our empanadas arrive..

Very starchy and dry.. Poorly fried and barely filled..

2346930726_77df4cb484.jpg

Garlic bread arrive 5 minutes after the empanada is cleared..

2346933408_1ca4398241.jpg

Dried out porkchops mojo come to the table.. Waited 5 minutes or so before going to the bar myself to get limes.

2346105437_dd67ae7df0.jpg

Miss K rocked the masitas or pork cutlets.. Better then mine..

2346936736_e7c9153335.jpg

Some real gringo type picadillo.. What seperates picadillo from this tomato sauce with beef is the wonderful flavors from olives and raisins.. This was tomato sauce, peas, and ground beef..

2346937782_c0903ca477.jpg

As I am finishing dinner our drinks arrive.. We leave asap, having to wait at the bar for a check because it would have taken another 20 minutes.. Though still took 7 minutes with me standing at the bar..

Dinner was 81 bucks.. This place is the worst of both worlds.. Yes I will put up with shitty service in dirty looking place if the food is great.. But if you are going to serve gringo overpriced food, at least dazzle me with service..

I am sure there is a review around somewhere with me saying something good about the place.. I think the garlic sauce with oil was good the first time I went.. It was freshly made and not ready to be put out tonight.. Tonight was one of the worst nights I have seen it there.. On times, i have gotten good food, I have gotten passable Cubanos.. But, after tonight, I am over this place.

2346132797_a028af95c3.jpg

What can I say about this place.. I have a like/hate relationship with this place.. When its good, its only mildly annoying and fairly acceptable.. When its bad, it absolutely sucks. Its expensive, the service is always slow and off, the drinks always take too long.. On quick nights you get served drinks before your main arrives.. On slow nights, well who knows... And they insist on serving drinks in these ridiculous pineapples that you wait for them to core..

We arrived tonight in the pouring rain.. After 10 minutes of not seeing anyone, we are axed what we would like for dinner.. We place our orders and the waiting game begins..

A brief 15 minutes later our empanadas arrive..

Very starchy and dry.. Poorly fried and barely filled..

2346930726_77df4cb484.jpg

Garlic bread arrive 5 minutes after the empanada is cleared..

2346933408_1ca4398241.jpg

Dried out porkchops mojo come to the table.. Waited 5 minutes or so before going to the bar myself to get limes.

2346105437_dd67ae7df0.jpg

Miss K rocked the masitas or pork cutlets.. Better then mine..

2346936736_e7c9153335.jpg

Some real gringo type picadillo.. What seperates picadillo from this tomato sauce with beef is the wonderful flavors from olives and raisins.. This was tomato sauce, peas, and ground beef..

2346937782_c0903ca477.jpg

As I am finishing dinner our drinks arrive.. We leave asap, having to wait at the bar for a check because it would have taken another 20 minutes.. Though still took 7 minutes with me standing at the bar..

Dinner was 81 bucks.. This place is the worst of both worlds.. Yes I will put up with shitty service in dirty looking place if the food is great.. But if you are going to serve gringo overpriced food, at least dazzle me with service..

I am sure there is a review around somewhere with me saying something good about the place.. I think the garlic sauce with oil was good the first time I went.. It was freshly made and not ready to be put out tonight.. Tonight was one of the worst nights I have seen it there.. On times, i have gotten good food, I have gotten passable Cubanos.. But, after tonight, I am over this place.

I went there once on your recommendation and had an equally shitty experience.

I gave up on this place after having a thoroughly mediocre, overpriced dinner there several months ago. I have no plans to return.

Michael aka "Pan"

Also been to Cafe con Leche a couple of times with no plans to go back. Most unforgivable of all, their cafe con leche SUCKS!

If one is on the Upper West Side (depending on how one defines the neighborhood) and has to have Cuban-type food, Havana Central (Broadway at 114th St.) is not half bad. Had an excellent cubano sandwich there a few months ago.

I'm still mourning the demise of La Rosita.

My restaurant blog: Mahlzeit!