• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where Do I Wipe My Hands?!?

trekflyer

So i recently began working in a fine kitchen and i have a problem... Ever since i was a kid, when i cook... i wipe my wet hands on myself after washing my hands... either on my pants, my shirt, whatever... Now i have a problem... At work whenever i need to dry or quickly clean my hands while i'm plating during service, it's all goes straight on to my apron... That's not professional... i was told to wipe my hands using paper towels, but i don't want to waste paper every second with a new piece of paper just so i can wipe a little oil off of my hands. So you say, just keep a towel around my apron strap... It's not acceptable to do that, where i work.. I guess the chef doesn't believe in it. I can keep a towel on my work surface, but that just makes the surface cluttered having all these towels thrown about.... This might sound trivial to some people, but i've been yelled at a few times because of this... SOOOO, any tips?

Fold your side towels neatly into squares that are useful for grabbing hot items or wiping small spills or detritus. Store them in a shallow 6-pan either on your station or under it depending on preference and local health code. It doesn't take long for the muscle and memory to know where to reach for them.

Bryan C. Andregg

"Give us an old, black man singing the blues and some beer. I'll provide the BBQ."

Inside bottom corner of the apron..unless your talking full length French

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

You only need two towels, one dry for pan work, and the other wet for wiping. Leave the wet one folded on the station, rinse often, and the dry towel on your hip. It takes discipline, but works. The whole point is that few cooks realize the costs of towels(thru linen companies) or if house owned, laundering.

No towel allowed on your apron strap, trekflyer? When I was in this situation, I used to have a towel, dry and folded into thirds, under my apron tucked into my pants or belt. Ghetto, but it works.

Bartender @ Balliceaux, Richmond, Va

"An Irish Lie is just as good as the truth."

- Egan Dean, Table 6 cook

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem as a foh employee. I'm supposed to look purdy, especially when I'm working at the front door, but I also like to wash my hands before I run food or after I help clear a table. Why can't we just have a bar towel hanging on a hook by the sink? Why?

I just started at my current job so I don't want to step on anyone's toes, but this issue is really starting to bug. I hate it when things aren't set up to work efficiently.

"An appetite for destruction, but I scrape the plate."

I would think that a communal towel for everyone to wipe their hands on after washing would probably be a health code violation.

Is there not a paper towel dispenser by your hand sink?

I used to keep a sani bucket with a dry towel next to it on my station back in the day.

Change the bucket out through service, time permitting of course, but your chef should'nt have a problem with that. Then again, if He/She has a problem with a towel on your apron strap, maybe you should question the logic there. If your chef believes that hands stay immaculate through a service period, should be checked into the mental ward. I don't care what station you're on. I agree that wiping your hands on your jacket

and apron is not only unprofessional, but it's fucking disgusting.

If you saw a chef or a cook in a reputable restaurant with a bunch of hand smears all over and coated with blood and dressing and everything else wouldn't you be just a little distressed if that shit was ending up in your food?

It's good that you recognize this problem and are searching for an answer. Personally, I'd talk to the chef rationally and see if he'd might bend the rules a bit or offer an option as to how he wants you to work. If he's a dick about it, quit. Plenty of cooking jobs out there pal. In the long run this is one of the smallest of problems in a kitchen. You'll figure it out.

You've got no choice.

surprised no one mentioned c-folds

beginning of service stash a big handful of them somewhere. not only can they be used to dry your hands (though get pricey after you go through so many everyday) you can also use them to wipe plates, and also use as a pad to drain things.

How do you dry your hands when you aren't wearing an apron?

A towel under your apron, tucked into your belt/pants could work. The towel is concealed, but you look like you are molesting yourself when you use it. Otherwise, just find a hidey-hole for a couple of dry ones to wipe after washing.

I agree that seeing someone wipe their hands (or knives, or other equipment) on an apron is just wrong. I know it's cloth and started out clean, but it sure can pick up some funky stuff along the way. Break the habit. It's one of the bad ones you have to break.

I appreciate the effort in handwashing BTW. It's good to know that someone actually puts some thought into it.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

• 2 weeks later...
So i recently began working in a fine kitchen and i have a problem...  Ever since i was a kid, when i cook... i wipe my wet hands on myself after washing my hands...  either on my pants, my shirt, whatever...  Now i have a problem...  At work whenever i need to dry or quickly clean my hands while i'm plating during service, it's all goes straight on to my apron...  That's not professional...  i was told to wipe my hands using paper towels, but i don't want to waste paper every second with a new piece of paper just so i can wipe a little oil off of my hands.  So you say, just keep a towel around my apron strap...  It's not acceptable to do that, where i work..  I guess the chef doesn't believe in it.  I can keep a towel on my work surface,  but that just makes the surface cluttered having all these towels thrown about....  This might sound trivial to some people, but i've been yelled at a few times because of this...  SOOOO, any tips?

at the ritz they always made us have a soap and sanitizer bucket and in the sanitizer bucket we kept a towl that we would wipe our hands with. The other option is to wear gloves in a sticky situation. It might seem ridiculous in a busy situation but after your used to it you'll be surprised how fast you can change a pair of gloves

A towel under your apron, tucked into your belt/pants could work. The towel is concealed, but you look like you are molesting yourself when you use it. Otherwise, just find a hidey-hole for a couple of dry ones to wipe after washing.

I agree that seeing someone wipe their hands (or knives, or other equipment) on an apron is just wrong. I know it's cloth and started out clean, but it sure can pick up some funky stuff along the way. Break the habit. It's one of the bad ones you have to break. 

I appreciate the effort in handwashing BTW. It's good to know that someone actually puts some thought into it.

after washing your hands shaking them off works well when your busy

The thing about having a dry towel around your belt/apron strap/wherever that you constantly use to wipe your hands on is that it's a major health code violation and really gross. I mean, suppose you had raw chicken (or meat) threw it on the grill, then had to plate, so you wipe your hands on your hidden towel, then a few minutes later taste a sauce, wipe your hands again, and plate the cooked chicken - voila - you just contaminated the cooked chicken. Your noble desire to save a few paper towels might make someone sick.

So suck it up and use the paper towels.

"A culture's appetite always springs from its poor" - John Thorne

• 2 weeks later...

after washing your hands shaking them off works well when your busy

I was think more of being in a restroom somewhere.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

• 2 weeks later...

Now if only we could get foh employees to be as diligent about handwashing.

I swear, they are the worst. You should be washing your hands so much during service that they are CHAPPED, people!! Argh!

"An appetite for destruction, but I scrape the plate."