• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

South of Market, Drinks, Dinner?

onehsancare

Where would you send a young thirty-something couple on a first date? They're going for drinks, so they'd like a nice lounge with good drinks and tables, AND would like the possibility of just turning it into dinner easily . . . .

I'm told they'd prefer South of Market, but they work in the financial district, so I'm not sure how written in stone that preference is.

I'm being consulted as the foodie-in-residence, so I'd like to give them good advice. Too bad I don't know San Francisco! But I told them that my eGullet friends would steer them in the right direction.

Any ideas will be very welcome!!!

Thanks.

Life is short. Eat the roasted cauliflower first.

Bix.

Piano with lounge singer, killer Sidecars, table-side made tartare, vaulted ceilings, white-suited servers...

One of the most elegant and under-rated "old world" restaurants in the city. Perfect for romance.

Bix.

Piano with lounge singer, killer Sidecars, table-side made tartare, vaulted ceilings, white-suited servers...

One of the most elegant and under-rated "old world" restaurants in the city. Perfect for romance.

I'm proud to say that I didn't just post for help without doing some research--I read Carolyn's entire "New Journey" thread, for instance--and came up with two ideas: Bix, at the top of the list, and Biscuits and Blues, which I thought might be too music-focused.

Glad to see we're on the same wavelength! Thanks!

Life is short. Eat the roasted cauliflower first.

Biscuts and Blues is really really awesome, I think it would be a really fun first date. It is definitely music focused but I think it would be a great spot, something different and semi-casual.

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields