• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Work Schedules

Jakea222

You guys have some good strories about places that roped you in on things only to find out it is so off the mark. Mine is just that scheduling mess. at least 6 days straight with out a day and I came off a 13 and needed a day away real bad or I though I was gonna hurt somebody. - your turns

Issue is the lies that got you in their Door to work for Them and what you felt like once they started to bring up the mis state or left out altogether information about time off, sick time, closest ER for cutting somthing off is not covered by johnny balboa insurance man - so lets hear em"

Any employer who lies or bait and switches deserves a foot up their ***, or at least an employee that makes them feel as if they have one. As an employer, I try to make perfectly clear the requirements of the position and what is expected, take it or leave it. But to rope some one in with lies is dispicable. Thats what labor boards are for. Whats the upside for a kitchen in screwing their staff?

agreed. if the circumstances warrant it AND the restaurant is up front with you it is totally acceptable. when i started one of my jobs i worked 20 strait days but was told i would need "legs" to do the job, and that the g.m. would be out of town for my first week and a half and restaurant week would start right after that. i would later find out that if the restaurant was busy, the g.m. would always be there longer than me, even if i was there 14 hours. when it was slow he wasn't, and i worked less than normal restaurant hours. i think that is the most fair situation there can be

Sandy Levine
The Oakland Art Novelty Company

sandy@TheOaklandFerndale.com www.TheOaklandFerndale.com

www.facebook.com/ArtNoveltyCompany twitter: @theoakland