• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Indian spice market in region?

chappie

Years ago I shopped at an Indian market in San Francisco where bulk spices -- many of which were common in "American" cooking also -- were not only fresher but cheaper by many factors. Are there any in the D.C. area?

Barring that on the Shore, I've found that the little bags of spices sold in the Lation aisle in Food Lion save money as well. I buy bay leaves that way; getting them the McCormick, et al route is for suckers.

But I think if I could track down a good Indian spice market, I could fill my larders with the schtuff I needs.

Not a DC expert (i.e. can't identify a bulk spice store in the area), but here are a couple of ideas.

Try local hispanic markets for a larger selection of the kinds of things you see in the Food Lion latino section.

Take a day trip to Philadelphia and go here for lots of spices in bulk (and to shop at all the other cool places in the Italian market): http://www.phillyitalianmarket.com/market/...rner/index.html

I've been very satisfied with spices from Penzey and they are available in large sizes at bargain prices: http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/shophome.html

I do frequent Latino markets, but I'm looking for the Indian markets with eye-popping bins of fresh spices in bulk.

Ah yes, the Italian market. I need to get back there (both Philly and the market). Is Sarcone's still in business? I remember they had a fire some years back, but supposedly rebuilt. To this day my favorite sandwich memory.

How far out of DC are you willing to go? There's a good Indian market in Brookfield Plaza down Backlick Road just south of the beltway. There are other ethnic markets in there as well - here's a link to the website. There used to be a really nice store on Little River Turnpike, but it closed. The one on Columbia Pike by the Harris Teeter isn't as good as the one on Backlick. Happy shopping!

Penzey's does have really nice spices - I've been to the one in Falls Church - however, there's nothing like grabbing a half-pound of cloves for a couple of bucks at an Indian market. The turnover is so good that they are as good as Penzey's on freshness, and they blow them out of the water on price. The tradeoff is that you may not use it up before it loses flavor. It's all going to depend on how much you need.

Kaluystan's (sp?) in NY is the best. It's Indian, and bulk spices, to boot.

I've ordered on-line from them too.

Edited to add:

Oh, and living in Philly, we get our local bulk spices directly from an Indian shop at 42nd and Walnut in an old 7-11 type store. Great selection.

Edited by TarteTatin (log)

Philly Francophiles

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know if you've had any luck - but you could also try Global foods (there are two in Manassas) - haven't seen any large bins though - and there's a spice store (actually a Halal butcher in Alexandria off Rte 1) with a pretty decent selection of herbs and spices in large bags - around 1/2 lb each... I did a search and there's a spice shop in DC on Georgia (I think) but since I haven't been there don't know how things are packaged. I've been looking for Fenugreek to make my own curry and still haven't found it - so if you do - please let me know.

Live and learn. Die and get food. That's the Southern way.

How far out of DC are you willing to go?  There's a good Indian market in Brookfield Plaza down Backlick Road just south of the beltway.  There are other ethnic markets in there as well - here's a link to the website.  There used to be a really nice store on Little River Turnpike, but it closed.  The one on Columbia Pike by the Harris Teeter isn't as good as the one on Backlick.  Happy shopping!

LPerry - was it Eastern World Market that you were referring to?

Live and learn. Die and get food. That's the Southern way.