• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian/South Asian delivery

Anchoress

I've been looking for good East Indian delivery. The only criteria is a good selection of vegetarian dishes and that they'll deliver to Hastings-Sunrise. I tried calling a bunch of places that advertise in the YP, but many of them said they weren't doing takeout anymore, wouldn't deliver to my neighbourhood, or charged $7-10 for delivery!

But I have had two good experiences with Saffron on Kingsway in Burnaby. The food is pretty good - on the plus side it's fresh (had a bad experience with delivery from Yogis on Commercial, where all the food seemed like it had sat in the steam trays for the whole weekend - but it was a Monday so I will give them another try before panning them), not too salty and not greasy. On the downside, the samosas are just so-so, and the vegetarian koftas are a bit soggy and flavourless.

But what's really great about the place is the delivery service. Both times I called, the person who answered was very polite, got what I was talking about right away, didn't rush me (although they were busy both times), took a moment to be kind, gave me a total without me asking for it, and just generally made it a peasure rather than the usual chore it is to call restaurants to order takeout.

Both times the food was faster than expected, by a wide margin, both times the deliverer was really nice and polite, and both times my order was EXACTLY RIGHT. I usually expect about 50% or more of my takeout orders to arrive incorrect in some way, but not from Saffron.

Saffron's web page.

Anchoress - by "East Indian" I am assuming you mean "Indian" as in the subcontinent of India, as opposed to Eastern India (vs North vs South vs West). Not that I am an expert in any, just want to try to make sure I'm answering your question.

We live in the Nanaimo/1st neighborhood and have been ordering delivery from Ashiana Tandoori (originally tipped off about this place by our neighbor Mooshmouse). To be honest they are hit and miss, but I chalk that up to being a fact of life with delivery food, any delivery food. And they are more hit than miss. I do think Indian travels better than other traditional take out such as Chinese.

Ashiana tends to shine with their curries, and (IMO) falls short with their breads. We've tried their naan and roti and both, though leavened, come out more like tough crackers than puffy and chewy bread. But yeah give one of their Goa curries a go, it's something I really enjoy from them as it gives the familiar "Indian" curry flavours with a coconut milk base.

Timely thread though; I was thinking about Indian take out tonight, maybe we'll give Saffron a shot.