• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Since when is Sherbrooke a foodie town?

AlexForbes

When I moved to the Townships, 5 yrs ago, there wasn't

even one decent place to eat in Sherbrooke.

Nothing. Zilch.

Then came Bouchon, owned by some ex-Hatley Inn guys.

Then Alain Labrie, ex-Hatley Inn chef, ex-Groupe Germain,

opened his restaurant.

And now Danny St. Pierre is set to open his Auguste, very soon.

Here is something from a press release:

"Auguste, c’est le nom que le chef Danny St Pierre et Anik Beaudoin, son associée, ont donné au restaurant qu’ils ouvriront le printemps prochain à Sherbrooke. (...) Voilà St Pierre qui déconstruit, qui débâtit les classiques. Il impose au maquereau fumé une cohabitation plus qu’aromatique avec les fèves à l’érable. Il s’amène avec une poutine inversée, un boudin au grué de cacao, un pétoncle au pop-corn ainsi que nombre d’autres petites choses croustillantes et relevées. (...) Selon Danny, la cuisine d’Auguste, prénom emprunté à un grand-père sans histoire, sera «exactement comme celle de grand-mère, mais très caféinée! »"

Alexandra Forbes

Brazilian food and travel writer, @aleforbes on Twitter

Official Website

• 2 months later...

Just thought I'd let you all know, even though nobody really seems too interested in what happens in Sherbrooke, judging by the lack of response...

Auguste is now open for business, I went to opening night.

Open kitchen, bright yellow walls, huge terasse, friendly-looking.

And they have poutine inversée on the menu, although I have no clue what that means!

a few pics:

gallery_36345_6003_17483.jpg

gallery_36345_6003_11734.jpg

gallery_36345_6003_4115.jpg

Alexandra Forbes

Official Website

• 1 month later...

Oh, and the best new restaurant of all is the new and revamped Les Pechés de Pinocchio in Magog, (town near Sherbrooke) now in a fancier space with a beautiful wine cellar and live music. I had a deconstruction of sushi last night that was delicious, even if it sounds iffy, while my husband had a T-Bone with the best morels he'd ever tasted, freshly arrived from BC by express post (same supplier as toque and alinea). Great strawberry sorbet, as creamy as ice cream, great apps, overall, a top-notch dinner. The chef-owner knows his stuff, and has said he's inspired by Alinea, French Laundry and other top restaurants - and he's got the book library to prove it.

Alexandra Forbes

Official Website

• 3 months later...

I'm going to Sherbrooke this saturday and was planning on having lunch at Auguste. I read the menu, it looked like we could have a great meal for a reasonable amount of money but then I saw that it's only open for lunch on weekdays.http://forums.egullet.org/style_images/dev/folder_post_icons/icon7.gif

So, I'm looking for alternatives. We'll be there with our 2 1/2 year old so child-friendly is a must. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, just good food for what it is. I don't mind a burger joint if the burgers are very well made, etc. You get the idea.

Thanks for your help!

. . . . And they have poutine inversée on the menu, although I have no clue what that means!

Now that's something I'd like to see -- hopefully something more than upside down "disco fries".

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

. . . . And they have poutine inversée on the menu, although I have no clue what that means!

Now that's something I'd like to see -- hopefully something more than upside down "disco fries".

It's actually a bite-size appetizer. The crust is made of flaked potatoes and it is filled with cheese and gravy. The recipe, in French, can be found here: http://curieuxbegin.telequebec.tv/FicheRecette.aspx?id=65