• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Marco Pierre White to host NBC reality show

PDC

I'm kind of annoyed that NBC decided to cancel this show after only 3 episodes-I think they didn't even give it a chance.  The least they could do is finish it out, let us see a conclusion, even if they didn't plan to continue with the show. 

I would also prefer to see a straight up cooking show, w/ MPW, but that's not going to happen on NBC.

I'd love to see a cooking show with MPW. Reality TV? Not so much. I'll try to avoid a rant about how reality TV is dumbing down culture to a previously unimaginable low.

Oh, oops.

"Life itself is the proper binge" Julia Child

• 2 months later...

I watched an episode online and I have to say that it was dreadful. MPW was quite preachy. He may be a legend in the kitchen, but that did not translate very well to the tube. I can't see any of the contestants as deserving of winning a restaurant or ultimately keeping it.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

• 3 weeks later...

I saw an episode of this over the weekend, probably Friday night. I think it was new. I know it was awful, but I watched MPW and his index finger for the whole episode.

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

Yes, NBC is killing it off by showing it during the summer.

It was just like every other cooking/reality show -- and that's why it failed.  Nothing special about it.

I have always felt it is worse than every other cooking reality show.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I had forgotten about this show until I opened this thread. Hulu has episodes 1-7, and I had to go to nbc.com for the final episode 8.

MPW came across as a pompous preacher in suspenders, Gene Wilder/Young Frankenstein hair, and checkered Vans with no socks. Every time he started wagging that finger at the camera, acting as if each word was the most important thing said in human history, all I could think of was Clinton's "I did not have sexual relations with that woman", or Raphael Palmero's "I did not take steroids. PERIOD!"

Either is a reason to cancel the show. It followed the same formula as other cooking reality shows, didn't do it as well, and had an unlikeable host.

TomH...

BRILLIANT!!!

HOORAY BEER!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

TV just doesn't know when the horse is dead. Move over NBC's Chopping Block there is a new shark to be jumped in town!

Oh and you can still be cast for it...

There is a post on craigslist today for casting call in Atlanta.

Am I understanding you correctly in that they are going to try to air the show again?

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

• 1 month later...

sure looks like it. just watched the whole thing on NBC... see what happens when top chef skips a week? I go crazy! Its not good but it could be. Marco came off as a sententious idiot tho.

"Gourmandise is not unbecoming to women: it suits the delicacy of their organs and recompenses them for some pleasures they cannot enjoy, and for some evils to which they are doomed." Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

MetaFooder: linking you to food | @foodtwit

sure looks like it. just watched the whole thing on NBC.com... see what happens when top chef skips a week? I go crazy! Its not good but it could be. Marco came off as a sententious idiot tho.

"Gourmandise is not unbecoming to women: it suits the delicacy of their organs and recompenses them for some pleasures they cannot enjoy, and for some evils to which they are doomed." Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

MetaFooder: linking you to food | @foodtwit