• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smokey oranges

Tri2Cook

I smoked some tomatoes tonight for something I'm working on and the smoke was still going so good when I took them out that I hated to let it go to waste. So I cut some oranges in half and tossed them in for a while then wrapped them and tossed them in the cooler. Tomorrow I'm going to collect the zest and juice from them and then, assuming it doesn't taste like a really bad idea, try to come up with something to do with it.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I smoked some tomatoes tonight for something I'm working on and the smoke was still going so good when I took them out that I hated to let it go to waste. So I cut some oranges in half and tossed them in for a while then wrapped them and tossed them in the cooler. Tomorrow I'm going to collect the zest and juice from them and then, assuming it doesn't taste like a really bad idea, try to come up with something to do with it.

I have a smoked blood orange marmalade that I serve with waygu beef right now. It is basic bbq sauce. Sugar, smoke, acid. its tasty

“Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own." - Sydney J. Harris

That sounds really good. I was leaning more in the pastry direction with this round but I'm going to add that to my list of things to try.

Of course a smokey orange marmalade could make a pastry appearance as well so maybe I'll be trying it sooner than I thought. I wound up with about 300ml of juice and zest combined (I only did 2 oranges this time around because that's what I had on hand). I'd definitely have to add more zest (smoked or not) to do a marmalade of any useful quantity.

I've got a couple other ideas I'm tossing around as well but I'm definitely open to more suggestions/ideas.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Smoky fruit of any kind goes beautifully with strong cheeses (or any cheese).

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

If you're looking for more pastry-related ideas, I think smoky would be a good addition to something like cinnamon rolls or coffee cake - not particularly "fancy" but I think the smoky/spicy/citrusy would be a really great combo.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I wound up doing a sliceable curd from the juice and a marmalade from the zest and did a plated dessert with them. I'll post a pic soon.

So this is the result...

gallery_53467_5170_12308.jpg

smoked orange curd, cornmeal shortbread, chipotle-caramel popcorn, orange coulis

I was very happy with the smokey flavor with the orange but it did lose a lot of it's fresh brightness in the transition which is why I decided to use the fresh orange juice coulis and minced fresh orange zest as garnishes. It returned those special elements of fresh citrus to the flavor. Without those elements I would rate it as a nice flavor but not something I'd sit there and eat in any large amount.