• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinallo's in River Edge

eyedoc

I've been there a number of times. Strange as it is to admit, my mother hangs out there a lot (ever since it was Boodles), so I meet her there occasionally for dinner. The food is nothing exceptional, but it is good. I wouldn't avoid it, but I wouldn't make a special trip to go there...

If you see a surprisingly hip 62 year old woman named Joanne there, tell her I said hi...

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

I'll ditto Sanducci's. My wife and I figured something was up when we bought a broccoli roll from the attached salumeria, and it had AMERICAN cheese. The service and ambiance is wonderful, and the food is diner quality, AT BEST. We ordered eggplant rollatini stuffed with ricotta and prosciutto, and, if you looked with a magnifying glass, you could ALMOST see a fleck or two of prosciutto. A seafood over pasta dish was boiled seafood over pasta, where the only seasoning was hot water. When we complained, it was brought back with a few pieces of RAW garlic on it. The other food we had was, as I mentioned, about the same quality you'd find at a local diner.

• 3 weeks later...

I ate there a couple of times and I never thought it was that good. I always thought it was a middle-aged, mature, etc. "hang out" so to speak. Way back when it was Boodles, it was better. There were different owners, a different chef, etc. and IMO the food was much better.

Eric