• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

cookie cutters w/interlocking design

Eden

So I did some poking around both here & on the web in general and can't find what I'm looking for, so I'm hoping someone here will be able to help.

It seems to me that there ought to be MC Escher-like cookie cutters out there to save on dough and for general coolness.

they don't have to be super intricate or even match each other necessarily, they should just interlock nicely, and I'd prefer non christmas themed patterns so they were more usable year round.

Has anyone found anything along these lines?

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

My better half has a set of butterfly cookie cutters in a round tin that mesh together perfectly. To wit, without the paper insert at the bottom showing which ones go where, it's nigh-impossible to return them all to the tin. Sadly, I can't find it online - the closest ones I've found don't appear to fit together in the same tight way.

If a more literal interpretation would meet with your approval, I found both individual and sets of jigsaw puzzle piece-shaped cutters.

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

My better half has a set of butterfly cookie cutters in a round tin that mesh together perfectly.  To wit, without the paper insert at the bottom showing which ones go where, it's nigh-impossible to return them all to the tin.  Sadly, I can't find it online - the closest ones I've found don't appear to fit together in the same tight way.

If a more literal interpretation would meet with your approval, I found both individual and sets of jigsaw puzzle piece-shaped cutters.

Your SO's butterfly cookies sound like exactly what I'm looking for. should you happen to notice a brand name or the like I'd be very grateful.

should you happen to notice a brand name or the like I'd be very grateful.

I just asked and found they were from Sur La Table. A quick search of their website, however, doesn't list it. (Several other cookie cutter sets are shown, not like the one I've seen.)

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

should you happen to notice a brand name or the like I'd be very grateful.

I just asked and found they were from Sur La Table. A quick search of their website, however, doesn't list it. (Several other cookie cutter sets are shown, not like the one I've seen.)

Thanks! Since I live near their main/original store I can go look in person & ask questions...

On the topic of cookie cutters..... any ideas on where I could buy some cookie cutters for someone with strained hands?

I have a friend that is cooking up a storm of dog biscuits for a fundraiser and she recently strained her tendons in her hand. Is there such a thing as a handle dog bone cookie cutter?

She strained her hand at work and what bad timing for a fundraiser! :wacko:

Any ideas would be helpful!

Beth

Eden - I haven't seen such an item (yet) but I think you are totally on to something. If you don't find them, I propose that we go into business making some fun shapes.

The space that gets left between circles is so frustrating (the properties in my neighborhood are circles, and space between is "common area". Mostly trees and shrubs. Nobody really knows where their property line is).

Oil and potatoes both grow underground so french fries may have eventually invented themselves had they not been invented -- J. Esther

On the topic of cookie cutters..... any ideas on where I could buy some cookie cutters for someone with strained hands? 

I have a friend that is cooking up a storm of dog biscuits for a fundraiser and she recently strained her tendons in her hand.  Is there such a thing as a handle dog bone cookie cutter? 

She strained her hand at work and what bad timing for a fundraiser!  :wacko:

Beth

Pfeil and Holing have one; they are a commercial distributor near NYC. Here's a link to their item: Handled Dog Bone cookie cutter

I like the copper cutters from CopperGifts.com - they make them to order and you could ask about adding a handle to any of their items. I've found they're very nice to work with, and their cutters are rugged enough to stand up to commercial abuse....

I need a specialty cutter I'm unable to find online and am considering some custom work. (What I need is a small shape of a slice of bread, for making miniature french toasts for a catering job.) I don't have time or inclination to try to figure this out on my own. I have about 3 weeks to get it together. Any suggestions? It looks like all the websites that specialize in cookie cutters offer this service, but if somebody has specific experience I'd love to hear about it.

Your fastest option might be to make your own. Is there a vocational school near you with a metal shop? You'd get something sturdier made from them and could probably get several. A few people I know use a type of flashing to make their own cutters; I just don't know what kind of flashing or how long it lasts without warping.

Sounds as if you want the little notches on the sides, but in a pinch, would a plain square cutter work? Ateco makes a nested set of squares (largest is 3" I think, smallest is 1.5"?) that you could probably find from a local restaurant supply place, or from the above mentioned Pfeil and Holing or even online at places like Sur La Table or Williams Sonoma. (A plain square looks more like a pullman loaf. It'd be way too much work to have someone else take the notches out of the square with small rounds!)

I don't really need a cutter in my hands for a couple of weeks, and reinventing the wheel by making my own or finding a vo-tech program is unlikely in that time frame. What I really need is somebody who is already set up for this sort of thing who can produce a custom cutter quickly. I have more money than time to devote to this project, and I am not handy.

I will do another shape if necessary, but they really want the shape of a mini slice of bread. And yes, I need the notches. I'd rather not try to fake those on my own after using a square or rectangular cutter.

I have a friend that is cooking up a storm of dog biscuits for a fundraiser and she recently strained her tendons in her hand.  Is there such a thing as a handle dog bone cookie cutter? 

She strained her hand at work and what bad timing for a fundraiser!  :wacko:

Beth

Pfeil and Holing have one; they are a commercial distributor near NYC. Here's a link to their item: Handled Dog Bone cookie cutter

I like the copper cutters from CopperGifts.com - they make them to order and you could ask about adding a handle to any of their items. I've found they're very nice to work with, and their cutters are rugged enough to stand up to commercial abuse....

It's perfect!!!!! Thanks!!! and my friend thanks you too!!!! :biggrin: