• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Prepping Rice Noodles Properly

CharityCase

Hi,

I'm a seasoned food person, and goodness I've eaten alot of rice noodles in my day. But just as pitchers sometimes forget how to throw a curveball, I seem to have forgotten how to prep rice noodles for soups and thai curries.

I most often have these kind/thickness lying around:

RSM.jpg

I've soaked them in hot water in the past, but then I find I slightly overcook them when dropped into boiling water for 30 seconds or so. I also think I shouldn't need to boil them if they're sdoaked properly.

So, for this thickness (about 1 or 2cm..I'm usre you know what I'm referring to) what is your preferred method for prepping rice noodles for a soup or stew? How do you get them to that just-rght semi-chewy state?

I've had good results dropping the noodles into a pot of boiling water and immediately removing the pot from the heat, tasting almost immediately and draining and adding to whatever dish they are destined for once their texture is right. Dunno if that is the right method but it has been working for me. They take *very* little time to be ready to serve.

Edited by 6ppc (log)

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--

Hi,

I'm a seasoned food person, and goodness I've eaten alot of rice noodles in my day. But just as pitchers sometimes forget how to throw a curveball, I seem to have forgotten how to prep rice noodles for soups and thai curries.

I most often have these kind/thickness lying around:

RSM.jpg

I've soaked them in hot water in the past, but then I find I slightly overcook them when dropped into boiling water for 30 seconds or so. I also think I shouldn't need to boil them if they're sdoaked properly.

So, for this thickness (about 1 or 2cm..I'm usre you know what I'm referring to) what is your preferred method for prepping rice noodles for a soup or stew? How do you get them to that just-rght semi-chewy state?

That variety of rice noodles typically doesn't need soaking and cooks in a jiffy. Toss the noodles into a pot of boiling water. The noodles are cooked when they change colour, typically 1-2 minutes depending on temperature, atmospheric pressure and the water to noodle ratio in the pot. Once the colour begins to change, toss the noodles into a colander and place it under cold running water. Rice noodles are invariably starchier than wheat based noodles and washing them gets rid of excess starch. I am not sure that you can ever coax this variety of noodles to a "semi-chewy state".

If you're after a more al dente mouthfeel you might consider using Chinese rice noodles ("Hor Fun" in Cantonese) or Chinese egg noodles ("Mien" in Cantonese) which is made from wheat.

For Pad Thai I have found that the noodles do need soaking, 15 minutes in cold, drain, 15 minutes in hot, drain, then add to the prepared sauce with minor cooking required.

"I drink to make other people interesting".

I've had good results dropping the noodles into a pot of boiling water and immediately removing the pot from the heat, tasting almost immediately and draining and adding to whatever dish they are destined for once their texture is right. Dunno if that is the right method but it has been working for me. They take *very* little time to be ready to serve.

Well I found the above method was perfect. half a package took 3-4minutes off the heat, and followed by a quick rinse they were good to go. Thanks all!