• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Going to Houston ~ What is Don't Miss

K8memphis

So the DoughMonkey in DFW sounds awesome I just love the name of it even. But alas I am going to Houston. What is there in Houston that is Don't Miss? I'll be staying downtown-ish. I have a car. Please factor in parking and fairly easy access.

I mean a nice restaurant or a very cool very Houston place. A one of a kind. I'm not into a majorly priced fine dining experience for this trip, medium priced is cool. But what do you recommend? This would be the supper meal and/or a fabulous bakery to visit? I like fish and great salads more than steak but of course I love bar b q. What's don't miss in Houston?

Thanks!

Beaver's

What is there in Houston that is Don't Miss?

Thanks!

Hugo's is an upscale Mexican food restaurant that we in Houston are lucky to have. 5-10 minutes from downtown.

Dolce Vita is in the same vein as Babbo in NYC. Their pizzas are IMHO the best in the City and everything is very reasonably priced. 5-10 minutes from downtown.

Don't miss the cocktails and food at Beaver's. Just off of Washington Ave., on Sawyer. About five minutes from downtown.

If you're in the mood for BBQ, make the trek up to Burn's BBQ for some of the best East Texas-Style BBQ in Houston. It is about 15 minutes from downtown, but well worth the trip. Bring cash though...they don't accept credit cards or checks.

I've really been enjoying the burger's and Tex-Mex food at the Goode Company Taqueria. All of their meat is grilled over a mesquite burning pit. Skip the chain's BBQ though. There is better Que to be had in the city.

Luling City Market just opened a new location about five minutes from downtown on Gray. They make great Central Texas Style BBQ. My wife and I especially like their sausage links and ribs. It is located at the corner of Gray and Matthews--five minutes from downtown.

For a downhome southern breakfast that isn't short on calories, try The Breakfast Klub on Travis at Alabama. Located about five minutes from downtown. Their specialty is a plate of waffles and fried chicken wings.

If you would like more suggestions, please let me know. These are the closest to downtown that I can think of within a nice price range. jscarbor, can you think of anything in this area that I may have missed? If it were me. I would do dinner and cocktails one evening at Beaver's and the next evening at Hugo's. Hit the rest for lunch or of course breakfast/brunch for The Breakfast Klub.

My number one don't miss in Houston these days is Himalaya, a Pakistani place on 59S at Hillcroft, about 15 mins from downtown (if you avoid the afternoon rush). Very inexpensive.

See the thread on Beaver's on this board; I haven't gone. Luling City Market is a fav of mine at the Richmond location, haven't tried the new one. Haven't been to Burns in several years and wasn't impressed; how late is it open, though - 8pm?

Another vote for Hugo's - note: Mexican, not Tex-Mex.

The only thing I really like a Goode Co. restaurant for is the venison chili at Armadillo Palace, just down and across the street from the Taqueria on Kirby (and next door to the original Goode Co. BBQ.)

Edited by brucesw (log)

Hi Guys...thanks for the info here even though I just came upon this thread. I do not know who K8memphis is so I am not going with him/her (?) but I found out that I am to go to Texas to pick up my new car (and drive it home, too...) so it is nice to know where DH and I can go for a feed.

Cheers,

austramerica

Life is short: Break the rules...Forgive quickly...Kiss slowly...Love truly...Laugh uncontrollably...And never regret anything that made you smile. Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance...

My number one would be Tampico Seafood on Airline for the whole grilled red snapper. Ask to sit upstairs if that part is open, its a litlle more comfy.

Himalaya is my next go to restaurant.

A little nicer would be Catalan, especially if you like wine. This is hands down the best wine list with the best prices in Houston. Food is good to very good.

• 3 weeks later...

I did a search and found this thread - thanks! I found that I was just about around the corner from Luling's.

The ribs had a nice leathery bark and 1/3" smoke ring. They had good tooth, but could have had a bit more flavor. The (slightly too) sweet sauce was tangy and fruity, and definitely improved the ribs. The brisket was moist and quite good, although I would have liked a bit more smoke.

The cole slaw was better than the sweet potato salad.

Thanks for helping me with my fix on this visit!

Photo