• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lan

Pan

If there's a topic about this restaurant already, I couldn't find it. I suspect there isn't. In any case, I think there should be. I've passed Lan many times but never knew anything much about the place until tonight.

I was part of a party of four for dinner. We shared the following:

Simmered Berkshire Pork Cheek with potato puree

Organic Chicken & Scallions, Skewered & Grilled, with spicy yuzu pepper paste

Shabu - Shabu with Berkshire Pork Belly and Prime Rib Eye Beef

The pork cheek was deliciously smoky, very tender, and had apparently been marinated in a very tasty marinade. The chicken was very tender high-quality yakitori, and the paste had green chili in it. The shabu-shabu was again made with good meat, accompanied by various vegetables (Napa cabbage, shiitake slices, very good kombu, tofu, etc.) and we were given excellent sesame sauce and ponzu sauce for dipping.

Our dinner was thoroughly pleasant and at $30/person, a good value.

Lan

56 3rd Av. (between 10th & 11th Sts.)

New York, NY 10003

212 254-1959

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

If there's a topic about this restaurant already, I couldn't find it. I suspect there isn't. In any case, I think there should be. I've passed Lan many times but never knew anything much about the place until tonight.

I was part of a party of four for dinner. We shared the following:

Simmered Berkshire Pork Cheek with potato puree

Organic Chicken & Scallions, Skewered & Grilled, with spicy yuzu pepper paste

Shabu - Shabu with Berkshire Pork Belly and Prime Rib Eye Beef

The pork cheek was deliciously smoky, very tender, and had apparently been marinated in a very tasty marinade. The chicken was very tender high-quality yakitori, and the paste had green chili in it. The shabu-shabu was again made with good meat, accompanied by various vegetables (Napa cabbage, shiitake slices, very good kombu, tofu, etc.) and we were given excellent sesame sauce and ponzu sauce for dipping.

Our dinner was thoroughly pleasant and at $30/person, a good value.

Lan

56 3rd Av. (between 10th & 11th Sts.)

New York, NY 10003

212 254-1959

Love this place. Their molten chocolate cake and green tea tiramisu desserts are great too (They had these ~5 years ago, so before everyone started carrying them).

Can't remember the last time I was dissappointed with a meal here.

Edited by JWangSDC (log)

• 2 weeks later...

had a pretty good meal here last night with a bunch of people.

all of the chawan mushi's were good....

wagyu tongue was terrific.

steaks are good.

pork entree wasn't as tender as it could be but flavorful.

definitely an overlooked place.

really? I'm so surprised I passed by the other day and wondered how it still stayed in business, considereng it's very typical exterior and lack of and type of buzz....now, I guess I'll check it out...

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

I'm similarly impressed that they have managed to stay open - they must have a very patient owner. They opened in 1995, was always a quiet neighborhood "adult" japanese place with Jazz, only recently reinvigorated themselves with a new chef and expanded menu.

That said, for a much better value with a similar, albeit more limited menu, BYOB with an even more expert chef, definitely check out Kamui Den - I was back there just a few days ago, I've been back like 6 times since discovering it.