• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Susur Lee

Wilfrid

Gad, I almost forgot to do this. Unfortunately as time goes by, the lovely memories remain but the details faded, and it doesn't help that I only had chicken scratches as notes. Nevertheless....

As indicated in the previous post, I had a lovely seven tasting meal at Susur.

Amuse was a small square soymilk custard topped with spicy, diced dried turnip, sitting on a spinach puree. From all reports it seems the soymilk custard tarted up in various forms is his standard starter.

Magret de Canard and a foie gras sauce topped with peppercorns and a black currant sauce. Slices of tender, rosy duck breast were fanned out on top of a sweet potato pancake, pureed carrots, crisp green beans, and slice of squash.

Pan seared foie gras perched on top of a thin slice of pineapple was placed in a light shortbread rhubarb tartlet. A spoonful of tamarind sauce and a lightly spiced stuffed chicken wing, which was sliced at an angle to allow it to sit upright, completed the composition.

Wuxi pork, with corn and carrots, Duchesse potatoes. Memory lapse here. All I remember quite clearly is the fragrant aromatic spices associated with Wuxi pork.

Tuna confit topped with 2 thin slices of chorizio, complemented with a carrot sauce. I also had an option of ordering an extra dish with this course, which consisted of two tiny chive accented pancakes topped with crème fraiche, chives, and sturgeon caviar. It wasn’t worthy of the extra price.

The following course consisted of two items: 10 spice crusted Kung Pao scallops and 5-spice lobster. Two pan-seared scallops with its sides encrusted with a spice mixture were surrounded with a lacy tuille cage. They were accompanied with three tiny dollops of sauce; sweet brown Tamarind, green lemon chive; white – some soymilk creation? The fresh lobster tail chunks were scattered with flower petals with a spicy, gingery flavour. Though I normally adore scallops and lobster, I found the spicing to be too heavy handed for the delicate shellfish.

The savoury dishes ended with a corn soup with black truffles and parsley. Rich and creamy with the crunchy texture of the corn.

The dessert was a trio of delights, yet the details are sketchy due to very bad notes. A wonderful flourless chestnut cake with white cream and nut chocolate crunch; a chestnut tart with pear slices and sour cream(?); and a refreshing pear sorbet with blueberry sauce. A line of apricot puree sauce was dribbled on the plate to tie together the three items.

I wish I had known about the Chinese New Year meal as that sounded quite special. Well, I 'll know to call about it next year.

As indicated, two seatings are only done on Fri. and Sat., so you would be able to order the seven course tastings if dining at an earlier hour on the other evenings. I dined on a Mon. night at 7:00 pm and stayed for four hours. There were about three tables filled when I arrived and Susur strolled through the room on several occasions. The room subsequently filled up after that, and I believe the room was three-quarters full at its peak. The pacing was fine for a meal of this size, and I was invited to do the kitchen tour after the foie gras course. I was quite stuffed by the end, and had to linger over my herbal tea to allow sufficient digestion before I could stagger out.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone comment again on the wine list at Susur? After reading the posts, it seems that choosing the wines there requires a juggling act. We're going there next week, and pondering whether to get sucked-into the wine pairing suggestions or going solo with passe-partout wines given the erratic food progression.

Is there a decent by-the-glass selection?

"I hate people who are not serious about their meals." Oscar Wilde

The best area of the wine list is the Alsace and Loire sections. Susur's food has pure flavours and usually reacts well to these wines. I've found any of Pinot Gris, Gewurztraminer and Riesling go well - even better if there's a hint of residual sugar. This should work for all but the 'main course' which, bizarrely, is served at the beginning of the tasting menu. I know that's his 'signature' style, but it just doesn't work with wine. So have a glass of a light red as well if you like. Selection by the glass isn't extensive (around 10 selections total).

Although I recommend the tasting menu (he'll serve mostly different courses if two people order the tasting menu), I've had great success with ordering 3 or 4 appetizers per person and skipping the main course. That makes the wine selection easier too.

And the best wine match I ever had was a slightly sweet German riesling - matched his food perfectly, but had disappeared last time I was there.

Can anyone comment again on the wine list at Susur? After reading the posts, it seems that choosing the wines there requires a juggling act. We're going there next week, and pondering whether to get sucked-into the wine pairing suggestions or going solo with passe-partout wines given the erratic food progression.

Is there a decent by-the-glass selection?

He has a nice selection for CDNP including Beaucastel, Vidal Fleury, and Ch. Fortia. He has more than his share Gruner Veltliners - they proved excellent choices with many of the courses.

• 4 weeks later...

I think the food has been sufficiently commented on at Susur. We ate there on my first trip to Toronto last August. My husband, although born in the city hadn't visited in some time. We opted for the late seating and were surprised that the dining room did not fill (this was a Saturday night). Despite that fact, as previously noted, service seemed very rushed and promised descriptions of courses were not forthcoming. The service was below par. We had the seven course tasting menu- perhaps that's what seemed to put us behind the other diners we were close to the last people in the restaurant that night.

Now, for my biggest problem. It was freezing cold in the restaurant! I had not worn anything over my shoulders- it was very very hot outside- and I was miserable. As I got up from the table to go to the ladies room I slipped on a very wet floor- condensation due to the extreme cold. Staff came running and apologized put told me- and this is one for the books- that they had to keep the air so cold to protect the ostrich skin banquets. Evidently when they were first installed in the dining room inconsistent temperature would make them crack- loudly and scare the patrons! Can't imagine I'll ever come across another restaurant with that issue!

• 4 weeks later...

We have dined at Susar's and we were a little disappointed. Maybe it is all the hype? The name Susar rolls off the tongue's of food critics and clients alike. Infact it is the buzz word of all foodies and foodie wannabee's.

I would like to know the opinions of those that have dined there.

We were entertaining clients of my husbands and raved about the restaurant and we were disappointed. I loved Lotus (his first restaurent) and we expecting the same food experience.

The staff was attentive, but the food was 'not outstanding'

I hope it was just a bad culinary night for Susar and staff.

What was it that disappointed?

The sequence of dishes? More dishes bad than good? The service? Everything? A few things? When did you go? First or second service? On what evening?

Not to grill you (or sear you and bung you in the oven, either) but specifics of your own experience would be helpful.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

We have dined at Susar's and we were a little disappointed.  Maybe it is all the hype?  The name Susar rolls off the tongue's of food critics and clients alike.  Infact it is the buzz word of all foodies and foodie wannabee's.

Susur. Not Susar.

What was it that disappointed?

The sequence of dishes? More dishes bad than good? The service? Everything? A few things? When did you go? First or second service? On what evening?

Not to grill you (or sear you and bung you in the oven, either) but specifics of your own experience would be helpful.

Instead of giving you a long-winded description of the courses, I will simply say that some courses were bland and that the marriage of some ingredients didn't work for some of us. There were 6 in our party so opinions varied.

I actually liked the sequence of the dishes, but still found there was too much food presented. There were no 'bad' dishes at all. We had excellent service. We were at the second serving. The date we went is irrelevant.

The experience has not discouraged me from returning, but I will not go the tasting menu route next time.

Pixelchef - thank you for taking the time to correct my spelling of Susur.

I would like to know the opinions of those that  have dined there.

I ate at Susur's for my first and so far only time about one year ago. It was simply the most enjoyable meal I've ever had. I was on vacation with my family. My wife and I took our then 12y/o son (our then 10y/o son didn't want to go so we left him and our then 2y/o back at the hotel with a sitter) on a Monday evening and ordered the 7 course tasting menu for each of us. The highlight was when Susur came over and explained to my son how to eat aa complicated beef tenderloin dish. A susequent tour of the kitchen with photos left a lasting impression for all of us. I look forward to returning. I've been trying to put together a trip incorporating Susur and Eigensinn Farm, but have so far been unsuccessful in scheduling the latter.

On a separate note, my favorite Ontario winery is Thirty Bench. Their Icewines are killer and IMO blow away the vaunted Inniskillin.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Instead of giving you a long-winded description  of the courses, I will simply say that some courses were bland and that the marriage of some ingredients didn't work for some of us.  There were 6 in our party so opinions varied.

I actually liked the sequence of the dishes, but still found there was too much food presented.  There were no 'bad' dishes at all.  We had excellent service.  We were at the second serving.  The date we went is irrelevant.

The experience has not discouraged me from returning, but I will not go the tasting menu route next time.

If you aren't prepared to offer anything but "it's irrelevant, and I won't say why we were disappointed, but we just were", you're giving the restaurant bad press with no justification of why. What did you like about the dishes? There had to be something.

And you're welcome for informing you of the proper name of the restaurant you're criticizing.

Instead of giving you a long-winded description  of the courses, I will simply say that some courses were bland and that the marriage of some ingredients didn't work for some of us.  There were 6 in our party so opinions varied.

I actually liked the sequence of the dishes, but still found there was too much food presented.  There were no 'bad' dishes at all.  We had excellent service.  We were at the second serving.  The date we went is irrelevant.

If you aren't prepared to offer anything but "it's irrelevant, and I won't say why we were disappointed, but we just were", you're giving the restaurant bad press with no justification of why. What did you like about the dishes? There had to be something.

And you're welcome for informing you of the proper name of the restaurant you're criticizing.

To tell you the truth Pixelchef, the experience was more then 6 months ago and I am old and forgetfull. I just posted my impressions, not to trash Susur's, but to give my viewpoint. I am sure the readers of this thread are not going to take the word of Tajanna as gospel. This is a place to give viewpoints is it not?

I also stated that I was going to go back to Susur's to re-evaluate my first impressions.

I have read this post with interest and would love to know your dining experience at Susur's.

My spelling error was a mistake, not an insult to the Chef.

I also said that I love his first restaurent Lotus.

tajanna, please don't feel that you cannot criticize Susur's (or Susur) out of hand.

I'll be interested in anything you might post after another visit. As well as anything anyone else's posts.

Does anyone else feel there was too much food?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

tajanna, please don't feel that you cannot criticize Susur's (or Susur) out of hand.

I'll be interested in anything you might post after another visit. As well as anything anyone else's posts.

Does anyone else feel there was too much food?

I will look forward to giving my impressions of my next visit to Susur's :biggrin: