• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Restaurants In Montreal? Suggestions for Work

Genetti

I'm originally from new york, but I'm currently living in Montreal and am looking for a new restaurant to work at. I am trying to work at the highest level possible. I don't have a lot of experience aside from having worked Garde Manger for the past 6 months. However, I'm hard working, and truly want to learn as much as possible. I love cooking and simply want to continue learning. That said, what are the best restaurants in montreal? Places where it's truly about the food and the customers can't help but notice the love that went into each dish from both the presentation and the taste. I'm looking for restaurants where the food inspires. Also, does anyone know of restaurants that are currently looking for employees? Thanks for the help.

• 2 weeks later...

Try Joe Beef

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark

While I have never eaten at Joe Beef, I did work in their kitchen once. In my opinion, I don't find it fits the description. I've heard about Bronte and Chasse et Peche, but am trying to find more.

Edited by Genetti (log)

Perhaps you should tell us a bit more about what you're looking for. "Highest level possible," for example, means what? Me, I'd give an arm to spend a month or two at Au Pied De Cochon, but neither my French nor my skills are up to snuff.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I'm currently looking into Au Pied du Cuchon. I'm also looking at Bronte, Chasse et peche, and others. I'm just trying to get a feel for what the foodies out there believe to be the best restaurants in montreal, the places where it's all about the food. By "highest level" I mean a place with the utmost professionalism and caliber of food, where the cooks are all experienced and the chef is directly involved. I hope that helps further explain what I meant.

Bronte

Chasse et peche

Toque

Brunoise brasserie

are the probably the technical & high quality product driven places

there are other places that are more ingredient driven & simple just as good all depending on what you are looking for .

Are you looking for a Lupa / spotted pig style place or Eleven madison / Blue hill type of place

to present yourself to the first 4 places you should have some experience or you won't be able to keep up

let us know

all the best in your choice

Edited by Culatello (log)

Con il melone si mangia , beve e si lava la facia

My Nonno Vincenzo 1921-1994

I'm craving the perfct Gateau Foret Noire .

This is great. In response to your question Culatello about which style of restaurant I am more interested in, I would have to say a place like Babbo; it's not incredibly pretentious and really all about the food. I am still hoping to try and work at places where the technique is at a high level in an effort to learn. Also, is the chef at Bazaar Anise and Chronique the same?

For sure those chef's have good reputations for a reason , but by the reply you gave me maybe you should go try places like Lemeac /La Chronique ,& bazaar would be a good choice as well .

Con il melone si mangia , beve e si lava la facia

My Nonno Vincenzo 1921-1994

I'm craving the perfct Gateau Foret Noire .