• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

cuenca

butterfly

Hello foreros--

We're going to be in Cuenca (the city) tomorrow and I thought I'd ask for lunch recommendations since I don't see much on the forum... any ideas?

We're spending the rest of the week in the northern sierra de Cuenca... any local specialties in this area that we should know about?

Edited by butterfly (log)

It's been a few years since I haven't been to Cuenca, but La Ponderosa C/ San Francisco 20 (969 213 214) with their morteruelo, atascaburras (ajoarriero) and pickled patridge are still there. It's just a tapas bar but the best on it's genere.

Mesón Nelia in the neighbour village of Villalba de la Sierra (969 281 021) was highly enjoyable.

Rogelio Enríquez aka "Rogelio"

Thanks so much for the suggestions. Things were a bit out of whack because of the Palm Sunday mobs, so in Cuenca proper we ended up eating at one of the open places on the tapas strip near El Ponderosa (which was closed). But later, on the way to the Ciudad Encantada, we got to check out Nelia, which was great find in this beautiful and still very remote (but somehow still-so-close-to-Madrid) area. Especially at this time of year when so many places are still closed for the winter. Next time we'll check out La Muralla. We brought back lots of honey... my dad was an amateur beekeeper and it brought back some great (taste) memories.

Thanks again.

Edited by butterfly (log)