• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Levain Bakery – Where to Buy Their Cookies?

bfr

Does Levain Bakery sell their cookies through other retailers?  Or, can you only buy their cookies directly from the store?

Thx.

Have a look at the Levain site. You don't have to visit the store or other retailers....just mail order. http://www.levainbakery.com/home.html

I don't want mail order - I don't want to have to travel to the UWS to get them... they don't sell through Dean & Deluca or someone else?

Does Levain Bakery sell their cookies through other retailers?  Or, can you only buy their cookies directly from the store?

Thx.

Have a look at the Levain site. You don't have to visit the store or other retailers....just mail order. http://www.levainbakery.com/home.html

I don't want mail order - I don't want to have to travel to the UWS to get them... they don't sell through Dean & Deluca or someone else?

Levain look like a very proprietary mob to me - I don't know Levain well. but something tells me they wouldn't be keen to relinquish control over those cookies. Good luck.

btw, what's 'UWS'?

• 2 weeks later...

Thx.

OR, you can make them yourself. I think I've either cracked, or came close to cracking the recipes for their Chocolate Chip Walnut and Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter chip cookies.

**Lisa's Levain Copycat Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies (**Yields 1 dozen cookies)

Ingredients

2 sticks 'cold and cubed' unsalted butter

3/4 cup granulated sugar

3/4 cup brown sugar

2 eggs

3 1/4 to 3 1/2 cups AP flour (feel the dough, it should be moist, kind of like cold cookie dough in a tube.. but not super sticky, so you can portion the cookies with your hands)

3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt

3/4-1 teaspoon baking powder ( I don't fill the tsp fully, hence the 3/4 tsp)

1/4 tsp baking soda

2 cups good quality semisweet chocolate chips or chunks (I used half semisweet and half milk chocolate)

1 cup walnuts (I used macadamia since I was out of walnuts) Toast the nuts for more flavor, if desired.

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In bowl of electric mixer fitted with paddle, cream together butter and sugars until well blended and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time.. and beat until well incorporated, then add flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and mix until just combined. Gently fold in chocolate chips or chunks and nuts. Transfer dough to clean work surface and gently mix dough by hand to ensure even distribution of ingredients. Divide into 12 equal portions, **about 4 oz each.. Place each on sheet pan lined with parchment paper and bake in the preheated oven 16-23 minutes depending on how gooey and raw'ish you like the middles (I bake mine at 375 for 18-20 minutes, as I prefer a less raw interior), until very lightly browned, taking care not to overbake. Let cool on rack and store what you don't immediately eat, in an airtight container. To freshen them after a few days (if they last that long), give them a quick nuke in the microwave for 5-10 seconds.

***Lisa's Levain Copycat Dark Chocolate Peanut butter Chip Cookies (**Yields 1 dozen cookies)

Ingredients

2 sticks cold and cubed unsalted butter

1 1/4 cup granulated sugar

2 eggs

1/4 to 1/2 cup good quality dark cocoa powder (I use Dutch Process)

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1/4 tsp Kosher salt

3/4 to 1 teaspoon baking powder

1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or chunks

2 cups peanut butter chips

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In bowl of electric mixer fitted with paddle, cream together butter and sugar until well blended and fluffy. Add eggs and beat until well-incorporated, then beat in cocoa powder. Mix in flour, salt and baking powder until just combined. Gently fold in peanut butter chips and chocolate chips or chunks. Transfer dough to clean work surface and gently mix dough by hand to ensure even distribution of ingredients. Divide into 12 equal portions, **about 4 oz each, and place each on sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Bake in the preheated oven 16-20 minutes depending on how gooey and raw'ish you like the middles (I bake mine at 375 for 18 minutes, as I prefer a less raw'ish' interior), taking care not to overbake. . Let cool on a rack and store what you don't immediately eat, in an airtight container. To freshen them after a few days (if they last that long), give them a quick nuke in the microwave for 5-10 seconds.

Note - The Levain Bakery doesn't use vanilla extract in their cookies, as they feel it's unecessary. However, some feel you need it. You can add 1 tsp to each recipe if desired. Just add it after each egg is incorporated.

** Note - The Levain Bakery uses 6 oz of cookie dough per cookie.. If you want 12 cookies out of the above recipes, a little over 4 oz per cookie (4.1 to 4.2 oz. Use a kitchen scale) will get you that. If you want to use 6 oz of cookie dough per cookie, you'll probably get only 6-8 cookies. However, a little over 4 oz makes a cookie just as thick and huge, so you don't even notice the difference.

*** Note - Regarding the Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter cookies. I used Dutch-process cocoa. If you use basic, natural unsweetened cocoa (you know, your basic Hershey's in the brown can or whatever), add 1/4 tsp baking soda to the dry ingredients. Also, if they're too 'chocolatey' and rich for you, use only 1/4 cup cocoa powder, and add 1/4 cup extra flour.

**** Note - If you want a more caramel'y' CC cookie, increase the brown sugar while decreasing the white sugar in the recipe, so you still have a total of 1 1/2 cups sugar.

Levain Copycat Chocolate Chip Walnut cookie

gallery_59301_5861_35900.jpg

Levain Copycat Chocolate Chip Walnut Interior

gallery_59301_5861_40486.jpg

Levain Copycat Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip cookie

gallery_59301_5861_40651.jpg

Levain Copycat Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Interior

gallery_59301_5861_52685.jpg

Edited by Lisa2k (log)
  • Thanks 1

Flickr Shtuff -- I can't take a decent photo to save my life, but it all still tastes good.

My new Blog: Parsley, Sage, Desserts and Line Drives

"I feel the end approaching. Quick, bring me my dessert, coffee and liqueur."

Anthelme Brillat-Savarin's great aunt Pierette (1755-1826)

~Lisa~

• 3 years later...

Lisa, I had some Levain cookies last night. I do not live in New York, nor can I ship them down by the dozen. Does your recipe really come close? I NEED the cookies, and your pictures look awful darn close to what came in the box for Christmas.

• 1 year later...

I am stirring this dormant thread awake just to thank Lisa2k for saving me the trek to the UWS and the $4/cookie with her Levain copycat recipes. My feet and wallet thank you, even if my waistline is silently cursing you.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937