• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Easter Sunday Fried Chicken

Jay Francis

Here's an idea for you and your family if you don't have any plans for Easter Sunday. Each year, on Easter Sunday, the Knights of Colombus in Moulton, Texas have a fried chicken dinner at lunch-time. You can take I-10 to Moulton, or better yet, some of the smaller farm to market roads, for example, I-10 to Schulenberg, then an FM to Moravia and then Moulton, in order to enjoy the bluebonnets that hopefully will be in bloom (they were last year).

Here is a link to some videos of the fried chicken from last year to wet your appetite:

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=JayPFrancis&p=r

Jay Francis

Here's an idea for you and your family if you don't have any plans for Easter Sunday.  Each year, on Easter Sunday, the Knights of Colombus in Moulton, Texas have a fried chicken dinner at lunch-time.  You can take I-10 to Moulton, or better yet, some of the smaller farm to market roads, for example, I-10 to Schulenberg, then an FM to Moravia and then Moulton, in order to enjoy the bluebonnets that hopefully will be in bloom (they were last year).

Here is a link to some videos of the fried chicken from last year to wet your appetite:

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=JayPFrancis&p=r

Jay Francis

Man, Moulton brings back memories. My family used to have Sunday lunch almost every week at Kloesel's Steakhouse in Moulton. The cook, Harvey Koesel, cut his teeth as a cook in the military. When he got out, he and his wife opened up Kloesel's. This was probably 30 years ago. With Heartbrand Beef opening up just down the road in Yoakum, Harvey now serves their steaks as well as his usual house specials. A flat-iron from Heartbrand will set you back $20. He usually cooks a great steak. Don't expect the sides to be anything special though. Their chicken fried steak is the best I've ever had. A Sunday lunch special which includes a salad, entree & sides, desert, and drink will set you back a whopping $7.95, although my parents told me a rumor that it might go up soon...lol.

Ron, no address per se. It's held in the Moulton City Park. They have one of those old style multi-purpose dance halls there. Moulton's small enough that you won't have any trouble finding it. I guess, technically, it's just off 532 which is the Farm to Market that goes into Moulton from Gonzales.

We'll be getting there around noon.

Edited by Jay Francis (log)

We didn't get there til about 3:00 and they were wrapping up. They packed up 9-10 pieces of chicken into a brown paper bag, stuffed some yummy mashed potatos in a cleaned-up ice tea container, put some green bean / cream of mushroom soup casserole into another ice tea container & charged us only $10. Grabbed some plastic forks, then we went outside to a picnic table to eat up. Excellent chicken & the potatoes were really nice (not completely mashed, not completely solid).

Fun place, old wooden floor, outside benches & tables, bbq pits outside. Inside, they were having an auction, selling just about anything. I saw them get rid of a trash can for $7.50!! Up next was a Houston Texans baseball cap (not sure what it went for). The auctioneer was one of those rapid-fire, fast-talking cattle auction types.

Apparently they have a really big event in September with a live Czech band.