• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

South City Prime

ABC

i went there twice. The bar both times was fun. The food is just ok . My guests said the same . Appertisers were very good. main course is average at best. The steak is below average . I would only go back to go to bar. Way too expensive not to get a good meal. Service was friendly.

Ouch, not a very flattering review at all. My experience there was much better than implied in the story. I think that over time, the small kinks the writer alludes to will work themselves out. I can understand how frustrating it must be to pay such high prices while the restaurant ramps up its learning curve..

If they get their act together and execute well, the restaurant will truly be the gem of the area...

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

• 1 month later...

Since I was flying solo for the weekend, I decided to eat dinner before my long trek home. Without a companion, I thought it would be smart to go where everybody knows my name (NORM!!). I ordered a nice romaine salad, a NY Strip (how provincial of me), and a side of wild mushrooms. The salad was just what I was looking for, crisp greens with rich, but not mayonnaisy dressing, all topped with white anchovies. Perfect. Then came the moment I was waiting for, the arrival of my steak. I was told they were no longer serving their steaks with jus, and this meat was right on. The crust was crisp and well seasoned, the meat was super tender and cooked just right. I wouldn't be exaggerating if I said it was the best steak I have ever eaten in NJ. The mushrooms were an excellent pair, though I would have loved to have substituted the oyster mushrooms with some in-season morels. No complaints though.

All in all, a fantastic meal. In my view, SCP has gotten it right, much faster than some NYC competitors (craftsteak?)

[[{Jedi mind trick}]] You should go to South City Prime.

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

• 8 months later...

Closing down Jan 17th

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

The entire franchise?

The Little Falls location will reopen in the next few days under the same owner's Fire & Oak casual dining label. The other stores remain open and under their same brands.

Bill Pitcher has the details in the Bergen Record.

Bergen Record about the change in concept

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo