• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mayonnaise/Why does the jarred stuff last

maggiethecat

Right. Hellman's has some claim to the name mayonnaise. Miracle Whip isn't even fit to hold Hellman's coat.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

It would seem to me, that any self-pasteurizing food would be hot stuff, no?

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

gknl: I don't have a jar of Miracle Whip in the house, but I think that the "flavor" depends on upping the sugar content enormously. It always tastes sweet.

Heavy Duty mayo? LOL

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

gknl:  I don't have a jar of Miracle Whip in the house, but I think that the "flavor" depends on upping the sugar content enormously.  It always tastes sweet.

Heavy Duty mayo? LOL

I think it's more than just sweet. There's something distinctive about it, perhaps the type of oil? I tried a jar of Trader Joe's safflower oil mayo once and it was suspiciously close to MW. So much so that I threw it away. But it still wasn't MW.

Hellman's is too white and pasty for my eyes...

Err... I don't think it's meant to be topically applied to the eyebones... :blink:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

You probably say the same thing about a Twinkie. :biggrin:

Do they ever go stale? Of course some people raise the question of whether they are ever fresh.

I remember Jay Leno tormenting Richard Simmons by taking a Twinkie, inserting the nozzle of a can of whipped cream into the end, and inflarting it like a little cake whipped cream balloon... It's always worthwhile to see Richard Simmons tormented... :cool:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

While shopping at Sam's Club Saturday, I saw a gallon of mayo labelled "HEAVY DUTY". (I was curious, but not enough to buy a gallon). But I do wonder...

When I did purchasing for a restaurant (this goes back 20+ years, but things are probably the same), mayonnaise was purchased according to oil content. The top of the line was Kraft Extra Heavy Mayonnaise, at 81% oil, all the others being less. Since warehouse clubs often buy in restaurant packs (hence the gallon jug), I suspect you were looking at a high-percentage-oil mayo. Doesn't excuse the terminology, though, does it? Makes me want to grease my axles.

I think it's more than just sweet. There's something distinctive about it, perhaps the type of oil?

My theory, FWIW, is that MW also has a much higher proportion of acid, in the form of vinegar, perhaps cider vinegar. Joy of Cooking has a slaw dressing recipe that calls for mayo, sugar and cider vinegar that tastes suspiciously close to MW.

It would seem to me, that any self-pasteurizing food would be hot stuff, no?

Oh, I get it-- :biggrin: . Sorry, Bux, I was about give you the actual temperatures for pasteurization.

:hmmm:

Oh hell, I can't help it--144 F for 30 minutes or 160 F for 15 seconds. Let's see Hellman's put that in a jar.

:rolleyes:

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

What does calcium disodium ethylenediaminetetraacetate dihydrate do?

I have a bottle of this on my desk! It's a chelating agent. I also have a bottle of sodium lauryl sulfate. You want my job so bad.

:shock: You're really Clark W. Griswold, Jr., aren't you?

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

What does calcium disodium ethylenediaminetetraacetate dihydrate do?

I have a bottle of this on my desk! It's a chelating agent. I also have a bottle of sodium lauryl sulfate. You want my job so bad.

:shock: You're really Clark W. Griswold, Jr., aren't you?

naw, just a smug scientific bastard :wink:

Results of a totally pseudoscientific taste test:

Miracle Whip: sweet-and-sour in equally (very) strong proportions; not much other discernible flavor.

Hellman's Mayonesa con jugo de limón: more tart, almost no sweetness (compared to MW); no discernible lime flavor; unidentifiable unpleasantness -- oil??

Hellman's "Garlic Paradise": slightly sweeter than the one with lime juice; overpowering flavor of garlic powder, but without much flavor of GARLIC.

I've been giving this a lot of thought, and I have some ideas about how to extend the shelf-life of homemade mayo. As I was working through a protocol in my head, it occurred to me that perhaps no one is really interested in doing it.

Do you folks want longer-life homemade mayo? If you do, what are the characteristics that you are least willing to give up? Some possibilities that occur to me:

-"eggy" taste

- texture

- choice of fat (and by the way, what is the fat of choice?)

- other taste components

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Dave: I think I'd give up "other taste components first. If the oil and acid ingredients are good, the mayo should taste good.

Oil: It depends on what we're going to use the mayo with, but 2/3 canola and 1/3 EVOO seems practical.

Thanks!

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com