• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking With Yogurt

maggiethecat

I bought a yogurt maker via Amazon the other day -- a cheap Salton jobbie that's really nothing but a warm womb to keep the mixture at temperature. (Many years ago, I wrapped the mixture in a bath towel and placed it on a steam radiator, but I'm lazier now than I was as a novice cook.)

I spent the twenty bucks on the machine because I was cross at the price of yog, and the process has always seemed like magic to me.

So: I can make a quart of yogurt a day, no sweat. But what to do with it, beyond the crunchy breakfasts, the tandoories, the cheese (love that!) the Jacques Pepin cake? The dips, the salad dressings, etc.

It's good, it's easy, it's versatile, it's cheap. Care to share how you cook with yog?

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I despise yogurt, unfortunately, but can on occasion use it in place of low-fat sour cream (which is a bit of an anathema to me itself) in my cold avocado soup. Blend the flesh of two ripe avocadoes with half a cup of yogurt, a cup or more chicken/vegetable stock, lime/lemon juice, spoonful of cayenne, S&P to taste. Chill well before serving. Great garnished with salted croutons, fresh chives, baby shrimp, or fish roe. Truffle oil never hurt either. :smile:

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

I use it in biscuits, in my 'sour cream' coffee cake, my chocolate cake, my chocolate chunk/oatmeal cookies, my 'buttermilk' pie, my orange cake, my lemon cake, my baba ganouche, I marinate chicken breasts in it, my blueberry oatmeal muffins, some goes in my baked potato soup.

The Liberte Mediterranean yogurt I use it anywhere I'd use sour cream.

I also like to make a dish of layers of high fat plain yogurt and lemon curd - yum!

Kerry: What great ideas for baking! Do you sub it weight for weight for sour cream?

I use it to replace buttermilk by adding a bit of milk, and weight for weight for sour cream.

I have a lamb curry recipe that uses yogurt as a combination marinade and cooking liquid. It's really great. This topic makes me realize I haven't made it in ages.

Lamb curry

I just made the lightest, tenderest, tangiest best pancakes ever the other morning, with some yogurt. I subbed in half a cup of yogurt for half a cup of the milk in my typical weekday morning Bisquick recipe, and as always added an extra egg (I like my pancakes eggy for whatever reason). You could probably do that with just about any pancake recipe, or sub it in for the buttermilk, but I just wanted to report that it does amazing things to the standard pancake.

Tzadziki: Drain the yogurt until thick; grate, salt, and drain a seeded cucumber (and squeeze out as much liquid as possible; put a clove of garlic through a garlic press; mix together. Let sit for a few hours, refrigerated. Serve with pita. We live on this all summer.

Smoothies: can't beat yogurt, orange juice, berries (fresh or frozen), banana (fresh or frozen), all whirled in a blender. We live on these all summer, too.

Lemon frozen yogurt: Drain the yogurt until thick. For 1 quart (predrained quantity), stir in 1/4 cup light corn syrup, 3/8 cup sugar, 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice, 1 tsp grated lemon zest. Freeze in an ice cream maker.

Use the whey from drained yogurt in quick breads (muffins, pancakes, whatever) in place of milk. This makes for very tender baked goods.

Laban Immo W'Ruz

Delicious, tangy Lebanese peasant dish.

1 lb lamb cubed

2 (150g) onions, large dice

water

salt

1 qt yogurt

1 cup water

1 egg beaten

1 T corn starch

salt

pepper

Brown the meat in some butter, stir in the onions and cook until tender but not brown. Add just enough water to cover the meat,season with a little salt, bring to a boil, turn down the heat, cover and simmer until the meat is tender (about 1 hour).

15 minutes before the meat is done, mix the yogurt, cornstarch, egg and water in separate pot. Heat on medium high while constantly stirring in the same direction* until the mixture just starts to bubble. Turn the heat down to the lowest setting and season to taste with salt and pepper.

Drain the cooked meat and onions and add them to the yogurt. Correct the seasoning and simmer until you have "gravy" consistency.

Serve on rice with Pita bread and fresh radishes and green peppers.

*To prevent the yogurt from separating or curdling.