• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lamb burgers

alwang

I'm thinking about grinding my own meat to make some lamb burgers: any recommendations as far as cuts of meat? Seems like a lot of recipes just use leg, but I'm open to any suggestions, including mixes of different cuts. I assume that lamb is similar to beef in that you want an 80-20 lean/fat ratio for burgers?

---

al wang

I'm thinking about grinding my own meat to make some lamb burgers: any recommendations as far as cuts of meat?  Seems like a lot of recipes just use leg, but I'm open to any suggestions, including mixes of different cuts.  I assume that lamb is similar to beef in that you want an 80-20 lean/fat ratio for burgers?

Shoulder is great and cheap. Cumin is great as a flavoring for lamb burgers.

Just like venison I like to use the neck if it is a young beast !!

"It's true I crept the boards in my youth, but I never had it in my blood, and that's what so essential isn't it? The theatrical zeal in the veins. Alas, I have little more than vintage wine and memories." - Montague Withnail.

Consider lamb breast. It should be cheap, if you find it. There used to be a lamb wholesaler / processor near me where I could still buy a single leg at retail. Once, the guy there grabbed a packet of ground lamb breast out of a refrigerator and stuffed it into my hands while I was leaving. It was pretty good. I think his real business was from chops and legs, but he still had all the other parts. As a result, he'd practically (or completely!) give away the less-popular breast meat.

Now, if it's bone-in, it might not be worth the trouble. And I certainly wouldn't pay a premium for it.

I'd ask for some lamb trim if you can get it which will be everything off the carcass (ie no offal) except the loin, leg and possibly the shanks and shoulder. This is what most butchers use for making sausages and what we use for making sausages and burgers. However with lamb, you will probably get more like 65-75% lean meat to 25-35% fat ratio.

If you want leaner you may have to go to mutton which is find but will taste a little different.

Have fun and post pics of the finished products!!

G

• 2 weeks later...
I'm thinking about grinding my own meat to make some lamb burgers: any recommendations as far as cuts of meat?  Seems like a lot of recipes just use leg, but I'm open to any suggestions, including mixes of different cuts.  I assume that lamb is similar to beef in that you want an 80-20 lean/fat ratio for burgers?

Shoulder is great and cheap. Cumin is great as a flavoring for lamb burgers.

Really agree about the lamb shoulder. It was recommeded to me by my butcher. I did it with michel richard's lamburger recipe and it turned out wonderfully. It also doesn't harm that its a cheap cut (and thats important when you're making burgers for 25 at home!).

This is out of point, but i really prefer to chop my meat by hand using a chinese chopper instead of grinding it.. Kinda like the morimoto way but i don't do it so efficiently or cool-y. :P

Edited by yimei (log)