• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Squash

snowangel

I have a ton of delicioso (sp?), and need inspiration. I've just spent the better part of 2 days glazing every damn window in the house, and am feeling rather glazed over myself. I'm sure, too, that within two more weeks, I'll have a ton of other varieties of squash.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Snowangel, I don't know how inspired this is...but I slice several varieties of winter squash, peel and all (e.g., delicata, acorn and butternut), about 1/4" - 1/2" thick, toss them with kosher salt, olive oil and fresh herbs, spread them out on a shallow baking pan and roast in a hot oven until they're tender and caramelized. It makes a very pretty dish.

• 2 weeks later...

Snowangel,

Walking through the market last night, I saw a huge display of several types of acorn squash and was inspired to experiment. I cut off the top of a small, golden acorn squash, scooped out the seeds, baked in oven at 350 for maybe 15-20 mins to soften slightly (I didn't lightly salt the insides before baking but would do it next time I make this dish, for more flavor).

Meanwhile, I cooked some diced squash in chicken stock til just tender, sauteed some bacon, then some finely chopped sweet onion in the bacon fat. Then I combined the squash, onions, crumbled bacon, some breadcrumbs, a little maple syrup, some plumped currants, a few minced fresh cranberries that were briefly blanched, some toasted finely chopped pecans and seasoned with salt. Then packed it all into the squash, topped with more breadcrumbs and baked until golden brown on top and filling was heated through (about 10 minutes - I turned the broiler on for a minute or two at the end to get the top really golden).

For an experiment, I thought it turned out fairly well!

Roast a butternut squash until flesh is tender; scoop out seeds and discard or save for another use. Scoop out flesh, and puree with some light cream, unsalted butter, salt, freshly cracked black pepper. You can fold in some mascarpone if you want, but this is unnecessary. Fill buttered cookie cutters or ramekins and unmold onto a plate, being sure to run a warmed or heated knife around the edge of each cutter or ramekin to ease unmolding.

Top each round of squash with a fruit chutney, or chopped fresh herbs.

When I make this recipe, I prepare the chutney in advance, about a week in advance to let the flavors develop. At this point, stone fruits combined with cinnamon and other sweet spices, along with apple cider vinegar and peppercorns make for an ideal chutney.

SA