• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pub Grub

I'm coming to London for a weekend this June and would love to hear the best suggestions for authentic English pub food from locals. My wife and I are staying in Covent Garden and are not interested in waiting in line for three hours to get a meal at the Eagle. Suggestions?

We'll also be staying in Padstow for a few days so any non-Rick Stein restaurants would also be appreciated.

Great Queen street (on - funnily enough Great queen street between Holborn and Covent garden) would be your best bet - otherwise book now for lunch at Gordon Ramsays newest The warrington in maida Vale

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

Aside from Rick Steins you have Basildogs place "Margot's" which is popular and well worth a visit, the other options is No.6.

I've said elsewhere that for a Foodie village it is really lacking in options if you don't want to eat at RS places. Still a lovely place to be though.

As for "authentic" English pub food, I don't know what is authentic anymore. The Anchor and Hope is great but again you may have to queue and the food is not typical pub food which these days tends to be covered in breadcrumbs and fried from frozen or Thai.

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

and your quality drinking in padstow is facilited by EG-er slacker who in the real world has a very pleasant wine shop cum bar near the harbour called BinTwo.

The only stein establishment i frequent on visits to padstow is the fish and chip shop on the harbour which is very good and shouldn't be dismissed. It's always my first stop after a long travel down to padstow.

www.margots.co.uk

www.bintwo.com

you don't win friends with salad

Great Queen street (on - funnily enough Great queen street between Holborn and Covent garden) would be your best bet - otherwise book now for lunch at Gordon Ramsays newest The warrington in maida Vale

Seconded.. the Rib I shared there with a friend was delicious and they don't even give you options as to how you want it cooked which I thought was quite good!

Nathan Outlaw is in Fowey which isn't exactly loca to Padstow but easy enough to do for lunch. I had a good meal there though I'm surprised to see it as a rising star. Solid one star cooking for me. Fowey itself is lovely, well worth a trip if you've got time.

Nathan Outlaw is in Fowey which isn't exactly loca to Padstow but easy enough to do for lunch. I had a good meal there though I'm surprised to see it as a rising star. Solid one star cooking for me.

I think that you need to re-read the Michelin press release (here).

It already has got the one star which, as you say, it definitely deserves.

Edit: What the press release actually says is that, in addition to having one star now, it is a rising two star restaurant...

Edited by JudyB (log)

I'd second Steins Fish and Chips, one of the finest pieces of cod I have in or out of batter :smile:

I think we went on an off night, we are not Stein bashers and we had a good meal in his bistro the night before, but...

My partner ordered tuna and asked for it to be cooked rare (is there any other way). It arrived cooked very well done. We sent it back. The waiter/mâitre d' informed us "no one eats rare tuna, that isn't how it is served".

They had run out of salad. The people next to us asked if they were planning to replace the salad in the dishes that included salad with anything else for example the mushy peas. The response "if you want mushy peas you can have them, but they cost ₤XX"

It was impossible to get a 2nd drink....and believe me I try hard when thirsty.

I also thought the queuing system was the most inefficient I have ever seen. The queue we waited in had a party of seven at the front then three or four twos. Looking into the restaurant we could see lots of vacant spaces for two. I suggested (nicely, after nearly being physically thrown out for violating the sanctity of the queue) to the mâitre d' that he could seat the twos and the seat the seven when a big space filled up - there where other large parties who were seated and getting to the end of their meals. He said that would be OK if the party of seven agreed - they didn't. We were all eventually seated, the seven sat in seats vacated by other large parties, and us twos all sat in the seats we had been gazing at for the last 30 minutes.

Maybe I am weird. Maybe people in the UK love to queue. But in Australia we have a lot of great restaurants that operate on a "no reservation" system. They make a list and seat logically, getting as many bums on seats as possible in the optimal way. It works pretty well - the best ones will even get you from the pub across the road when the table is ready (and the pub lets you take the beer over - symbiosis). Given the amount of time Rick spends there It is a shame he hasn't copied this.

We are in Padstow for May Day so plan to sample some of these recommendations - maybe Margot's.

We don't open on May Day, never have, never will.May Day is all having a day of fun, seeing friends, and maybe the odd drink.Even if i wanted to, the logistics of opening are difficult; deliveries are a nightmare as the town is closed to traffic, staff just do not work on May Day, many people in the town have it written into their contracts.

enjoy the day !

oss oss wee oss!!!!!

We don't open on May Day, never have, never will.May Day is all having a day of fun, seeing friends, and maybe the odd drink.Even if i wanted to, the logistics of opening are difficult; deliveries are a nightmare as the town is closed to traffic, staff just do not work on May Day, many people in the town have it written into their contracts.

enjoy the day !

oss oss wee oss!!!!!

....but are restaurants open on May Day eve...?

Nathan Outlaw is in Fowey which isn't exactly loca to Padstow but easy enough to do for lunch. I had a good meal there though I'm surprised to see it as a rising star. Solid one star cooking for me.

I think that you need to re-read the Michelin press release (here).

It already has got the one star which, as you say, it definitely deserves.

Edit: What the press release actually says is that, in addition to having one star now, it is a rising two star restaurant...

That's what I meant, solid one star cooking, nowhere near two for me :smile:

enjoy the day !

oss oss wee oss!!!!!

....but are restaurants open on May Day eve...?

yes, we are and are fully booked i'm afraid.I'm not sure all restaurants are shut on May Day itself, worth calling Number 6 or Custard to see what they are doing.

the anchor and hope is always good...a mix of english and french classics i would say.

btw - if you go early to the eagle...around 7pm you'll easily get a table. it is more spanish inspired though.

for good english food go to st. john's or the st. john's bread and wine...

-che

I also agree with CheGuevara. Great Med pub food at the Eagle in Clerkenwell. Sit by the window by the kitchen and see all the action. GR's The Narrow was pretty goos on our last visit in November.

Stephen Bonner

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

I also agree with CheGuevara. Great Med pub food at the Eagle in Clerkenwell. Sit by the window by the kitchen and see all the action. GR's The Narrow was pretty good on our last visit in November.

Stephen Bonner

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

I also agree with CheGuevara. Great Med pub food at the Eagle in Clerkenwell. Sit by the window by the kitchen and see all the action. GR's The Narrow was pretty good on our last visit in November.

Stephen Bonner

I second the above, I went to the Eagle for the first time recently (odd I Know, given how long its been going), I didn't have to wait that long for a table. As pointed out, the food is not English, but the atmosphere is still that of a proper pub and the beer is well kept. So in many ways its a more authentic pub experience than a lot of the modern british places. Also the prices are very reasonable (not sure where your from, Canada I think? but for London its very well priced). Food is simple and hearty, but good of its type, and there's a good atmosphere. Blog review