• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

the economics of a restaurant development deal?

thdad

With the opening of numerous restaurants bearing the names of famous chefs in Las Vegas hotels (and hotels in New York City), I am curious to find out about the general deal structure underlying these developments. If a hotel "A" decides to open a restaurant with star chef "B" then what would be the issues that would need to be agreed upon in order to finalize a development deal?

In order to open up a Michelin-quality restaurant in a hotel, I would assume that the initial capital investment as well as high operating costs would not result in a favorable return on investment for the hotel/developer contemplating on building such a restaurant (compared with putting in a standard steak house for example). What are the economics of such restaurant development deals?

With the opening of numerous restaurants bearing the names of famous chefs in Las Vegas hotels (and hotels in New York City), I am curious to find out about the general deal structure underlying these developments.  If a hotel "A" decides to open a restaurant with star chef "B" then what would be the issues that would need to be agreed upon in order to finalize a development deal?

In order to open up a Michelin-quality restaurant in a hotel, I would assume that the initial capital investment as well as high operating costs would not result in a favorable return on investment for the hotel/developer contemplating on building such a restaurant (compared with putting in a standard steak house for example).  What are the economics of such restaurant development deals?

I would imagine that the burden is on the restaurant and the star chef. The location is something they select. The hotel would simply agree to rent them the space. I certainly do not see any celebrity chef letting motel 6 tell them how to operate.

Edited by RAHiggins1 (log)
Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.