• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kuih Rose - what is it and how can I make it?

Here it is. It looks like a three dimensional pizzelle that has been turned outward to give it its unique shape. Does anyone know what these are called, recipes, or how I can make them? I bought this in Thai Town - Los Angeles. Thanks.

gallery_41282_4708_10857.jpg

[Edited to add: I have changed the title to include the proper name following the responses below for future searching.]

One of my aunts makes this (we are Chinese, though, so maybe it's different?).

It's basically a very thin, smooth pancake-like batter, with less eggs and my aunt uses coconut milk in place of all the other dairy products, with a mix of rice and wheat flour. If you search online for any 'love letter' or 'kuih kapit' recipe, you can use that batter for this, though you might want it to be a little less liquid.

You need a special mould, which you dip into hot oil, then into the batter (I remember it sizzling), and then back into the hot oil, which should cause it to slip off the mould in one piece.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

Thanks May. I thought eGullet was going to let me down on this one!

That was the lead I needed. The Chinese version are called "bee hives" (sarang tebuan). Apparently the specific type that I found was a "kuih rose." Now google is showing me all sorts of stuff:

Someone's web blog about the sweet

Another with recipe

Does anyone have a source for one of the irons/molds?

Rob, if you want to wait, I'm going home this summer. I should be able to find one for you.

The rosette irons might work, but according to the how-to, you're supposed to remove the pastry after it's cooked. I've seen this being made, and it should slip off the mould whilst it's still in the oil. Not sure whether this makes a difference. If you can't wait (I totally understand this LOL), then I'd recommend something like the Geometric Spanish Rosette or Spanish Rosette on the site that the baroness linked to.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog