• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dos Palillos

The Flame

Dos Palillos is a terrific combination of two philosophies - Asian street food and Spanish tapas. No, it isn't wildly cutting edge, but it doesn't pretend to be. Excellent wine list. Go to the bar and order à la carte.

Coure is another outstanding (and great QPR) Barcelona restaurant that never gets written up here. Very unassuming but very professional, and they know how to find (particularly) great fish and how to prepare and present it.

Victor de la Serna

elmundovino

Dos Palillos is a terrific combination of two philosophies - Asian street food and Spanish tapas. No, it isn't wildly cutting edge, but it doesn't pretend to be. Excellent wine list. Go to the bar and order à la carte.

I'm not sure that the reference point for Dos Palillos is "Asian street food" so much as dim sum on the Chinese side and izakaya on the Japanese side. Having said that, it was a fun meal and I liked the price.

well i made it to have the smaller tasting menu in the main dining area around the kitchen, food and service was very good, and broke up my other dining experiences.

i enjoyed most dishes with a couple of great stand outs, but the sea snails were not for me but i know that is a personal taste as they were cooked well just hard for me to swallow just like marmite :huh:

We ate at Dos Palillos on our first night in Barcelona.

The restaurant is intended to showcase Spanish/Asian fusion tapas (the name translates to two sticks, referring to both chopsticks and the toothpicks that some tapas are eaten with). I think fusion might be exaggerating what's going on at Dos Palillos as I found most of the food to be pretty firmly in the Asian camp.

Without notes or pictures I can't really give a terribly detailed account of our meal, but I will say it was fun. Some of the courses were pretty pedestrian if you're used to eating in Asian restaurants, like a plate of stir fried vegetables. Granted, the vegetables were really really good, but it was still just a plate of veggies. Other more interesting courses included monkfish liver, razor clams with seaweed salad, slow cooked egg in dashi, and a make-your-own toro handroll (absolutely fantastic toro, quickly torched to really bring out the oils in the fish). We also enjoyed a plate of fried sea anemone, not realizing it would be the first of two anemone encounters on our trip.

A fun meal at what appears to be a Barcelona hot spot (numerous diners were turned away at the door for lack of reservations, almost all of them tried dropping names of people at or associated with the restaurant in order to get a table). Not sure if I would go back since there are so many more restaurants to explore in Barcelona, but overall an enjoyable experience.

-Josh

Now blogging at http://jesteinf.wordpress.com/

yes i have to agree i wouldnt rush back, it was nice to experience, but i found it a little expensive too, the small tasting menu with water and 1 glass of wine came to 110 euros and considering the size of the courses i would be very suprised if they were not making a good gross profit margin

the egg dish with dashi is one of my stand outs along with the monkfish liver and yuzu jelly and seaweeds.

We ate at Dos Palillos on our first night in Barcelona.

The restaurant is intended to showcase Spanish/Asian fusion tapas (the name translates to two sticks, referring to both chopsticks and the toothpicks that some tapas are eaten with). I think fusion might be exaggerating what's going on at Dos Palillos as I found most of the food to be pretty firmly in the Asian camp.

Without notes or pictures I can't really give a terribly detailed account of our meal, but I will say it was fun. Some of the courses were pretty pedestrian if you're used to eating in Asian restaurants, like a plate of stir fried vegetables. Granted, the vegetables were really really good, but it was still just a plate of veggies. Other more interesting courses included monkfish liver, razor clams with seaweed salad, slow cooked egg in dashi, and a make-your-own toro handroll (absolutely fantastic toro, quickly torched to really bring out the oils in the fish). We also enjoyed a plate of fried sea anemone, not realizing it would be the first of two anemone encounters on our trip.

A fun meal at what appears to be a Barcelona hot spot (numerous diners were turned away at the door for lack of reservations, almost all of them tried dropping names of people at or associated with the restaurant in order to get a table). Not sure if I would go back since there are so many more restaurants to explore in Barcelona, but overall an enjoyable experience.

yes i have to agree i wouldnt rush back, it was nice to experience, but i found it a little expensive too, the small tasting menu with water and 1 glass of wine came to 110 euros and considering the size of the courses i would be very suprised if they were not making a good gross profit margin

the egg dish with dashi is one of my stand outs along with the monkfish liver and yuzu jelly and seaweeds.

Either the prices went up or that was some expensive water and wine. I recall we did the long-version tasting menu (in Feb/March) which was around €65 if memory serves.

Just noticed on their website they're opening another one in Berlin.

http://www.dospalillos.com/home.php