• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vegetarian Eating in Manhattan?

Marky Marc

Hm. Do you mean vegetarian-friendly, actually vegetarian "cuisine," or food from a vegetarian culture?

I personally despite "vegetarian food" (as opposed to good food that happens not to have meat, fish, or eggs in it), but if you absolutely must, I would go a slight bit out of Manhattan to Four-Course Vegan in Williamsburg. Matteo is a great chef and the semi-clandestine nature of the place should impress your date. Plus it's BYO, so you can tote along fancy wine.

Otherwise, Blossom is IMO the best of the crop of vegetarian/vegan restaurants in Manhattan (again IMO). I hit Counter every once in a while, but it's vastly inconsistent to the point where meals there can actually involve ruder service and more awful food than feature at a Rue Mouffetard tourist trap.

If you want good vegetarian food, I'd recommend South Indian at Saravanaas (26th & Lex), though it's not really a date place. If you can spring for it, almost every high-end restaurant in NY (notable exceptions include Masa, Le Bernardin, Eleven Madison Par, Ko, Tailor, and probably a few others) will do a wonderful vegetarian meal given advance notice. My favorite performers in this space have been Per Se, Jean-Georges, WD-50, Annisa, Perry Street, Blue Hill, and Gramercy Tavern, in roughly that order.

Of course, you're probably not taking someone out to a $300+ meal on a first date, so let's step down a bit on the price scale. Here, you have pretty much free reign. Otto and Lupa both feature large vegetarian selections (although Otto isn't what I'd call a good date place unless you're there on an off night, sitting at the bar, and don't mind the scene), and most other Italian restaurants are likewise strong in this regard (the notable exception being Babbo). "Seasonal ingredient" places like Back Forty are strong in this regard as well.

In fact, pretty much other than Allen & Delancey, Babbo, Bar Boulud, the Momofukus, or the Spotted Pig, I think you'll do well at the restaurants that get good "buzz" here.

Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

Broadway East just opened and it has been getting a lot of, ahem, press...click.

Broadway East, whose “modern vegetarian” cuisine caters equally to vegetarians and meat-eaters, is finally opening its doors.

171 E. Broadway, New York, NY 10002 212-228-3100

Haven't heard any early word about the food...but it has been much anticipated.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Saravanaas and Madras Mahal are great, but for a date, you might want to go for Pongal. South Indian vegetarian; in particular a mildly spicey dosai and masala potato, is really the only vegetarian meal that doesn't leave me craving protein. That masala potatoe really sticks to your ribs...

Mayur is absolutely right.

the intended chef at Broadway East who has written some very well regarded vegetarian cookbooks was fired after noting that vegetarians are adolescent and sentimental.

And the current chef was evidently Gwyneth Paltrow's personal chef, if that matters to anyone.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Pongal and Devi are both excellent options, and I totally spaced those. For that matter, you can piece together a very nice vegetarian meal at Tabla: The Bread Bar has plenty of vegetarian dishes, and the upstairs restaurant will do a vegetarian tasting that my father claims is one of his favorites.

Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"