• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Midtown suggestions

epicurious

Hello,

I'll be attending a 3-day seminar this weekend in NY and would like to have suggestions of places to grab a bite. I won't be seeing a lot of the city but I want to make to most of my (short) lunch breaks!

What I'm looking for is anything good, from low to mid-range in price (we will be a small group most probably) located between 5th/Madison & 9th Ave, and W 20th & W 26th Street.

I would also like to have feedback on any of these spots I've pick up on Menu Pages.

- Daioh Sushi

- East of Eighth

- Eisenberg's Sandwich Shop

- Pongsri Thai Restaurant

- RUB - Righteous Urban BBQ

- Toasties Delicatessen

- Shake Shack

- Famous Original Ray's Pizza

Thank you vey much!!

On of the best deals in that area for lunch is Gramercy Tavern. They have a soup and sandwich combo at the bar that can't be beaten. I haven't been there in 2-3 months, but when I went last it was 12 bucks.

I had an open faced croque madame with house cured ham and over easy egg with asparagus soup. Combine that with a tap root beer are you are set.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

On of the best deals in that area for lunch is Gramercy Tavern.  They have a soup and sandwich combo at the bar that can't be beaten.  I haven't been there in 2-3 months, but when I went last it was 12 bucks. 

I had an open faced croque madame with house cured ham and over easy egg with asparagus soup.  Combine that with a tap root beer are you are set.

I agree, Gramercy is a great place for a casual business lunch, and the environment is really nice. I just went on Sunday for the first time and it was great.

Edited by anthonybishopric (log)

eat();

Spring Break '08 - First culinary tour of NY

- Daioh Sushi - NO!!! nicknamed "day-old"

- East of Eighth - NO! unless you want to see the epitome of drama-queen service

- Eisenberg's Sandwich Shop - yes, if you can't make it to katz's or afford Carnegi or Pastrami queen

- Pongsri Thai Restaurant - REGIONAL is better, but all shite compared to Hell's Kitchen

- RUB - Righteous Urban BBQ - still not a fan

- Toasties Delicatessen - see eisenberg's

- Shake Shack - how about STAND or BRGR?

- Famous Original Ray's Pizza - which authentic, original, one-and-only Ray's?

You're searching wayy to localized. For instance, extend your range a block westward and you got Tia Pol and Izakaya Ten

If you are headed towards shakeshack why not try tabla's bread bar? Decently priced and a little bit different i'm sure you would not be disappointed.

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

Hello,

I'll be attending a 3-day seminar this weekend in NY and would like to have suggestions of places to grab a bite. I won't be seeing a lot of the city but I want to make to most of my (short) lunch breaks!

What I'm looking for is anything good, from low to mid-range in price (we will be a small group most probably) located between 5th/Madison & 9th Ave, and W 20th & W 26th Street.[...]

That's Chelsea and Flatiron, not Midtown.

24th and 9th - Grand Sichuan. Get only Sichuan or Hunan dishes and avoid lunch specials (except for the Gong Bao Chicken, but the rest of the stuff you get with the lunch specials isn't worth getting, really).

Are you willing to go further north to Koreatown (32nd-36th Sts. between Broadway and Madison)? What about a bit further, to 39th Sts. between 5th and 6th for much more compelling Sichuan food than Grand Sichuan?

Michael aka "Pan"

I'd throw in Devi's $25 prix fixe lunch as well... 18th and 5th... got that a week ago and it was pretty good, altho we were there on the early side, 12pm, and for whatever reason, the food that was coming out a bit later looked better. BTW they usually throw in a bunch of free amuses and dessert

Agree with comments above. Avoid East of Eighth at all costs. I live in the area and it is quite miserable. I'll never forget the "way past their prime" mussels they served me. The whole table smelled this foul odor...yuk.

RUB and Shake Shack are great, as are Grand Sichuan and Bread Bar at Tabla.