• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shark's Fin and Sichuan Pepper

insomniac

......have just finished reading Fuchsia Dunlop's latest and blindingly well written book, which chronicles her path from burgeoning Chinese language student to expert in Chinese cuisine.

Her story is simply amazing, especially so for those of us who know what rural China is like now, let alone 15 yrears ago. The culinary journey she has undertaken is so breathtaking that I just had to post a note...the book covers the spectrum of her work, including the story of how her 2 cookbooks evolved and were eventually published.

She has got to rank up there with the greats of literary food writers......I can't recommend this book highly enough.

I will second this positive review. I received an advanced review copy from the publisher and am almost finished. Cannot say that the subject matter called out to me. Don't really have any interest in traveling to China, and the Chinese culture has never beckoned to me. But Dunlop's books sell well and she is well respected in the world of home cooks of Chinese food. I loved this book. Learned a lot about the culture and history of China through the food, which is always my preferred method. The woman also writes wonderfully, her use of language is marvelous and her observations are astute and insightful. I highly recommend this book as an addition to the food memoir shelf.

www.RabelaisBooks.com

Thought for Food

• 1 month later...

I am really glad to hear that it is so good. I have a deep and abiding interest in China and after reading a review of this in Christian Science Monitor's book section online, I was even more interested. I just got it and as soon as I finish this non food book I am reading (The Ginseng Hunter, if anyone is interested is really good!) I will start to read it.

I *so* want to read this book now. I'd seen it a few times but didn't pick it up, yet this past weekend I found myself in Chinatown four times in three different cities while taking the gloriously inexpensive bus to visit family and friends for Mother's Day - New York, Philly, and DC.

I busted a STOOPID grub each time I was there and can't wait to walk around NY's Chinatown (and read some of the threads about it) and explore and eat some more. :laugh:

SOLD!

Picked it up last night and now am happily lying in bed reading it. Thank you so much for posting and to the others that agreed!

I am only about 40 pages in but I'm REALLY enjoying it so far; she IS a great writer. I love spicy food and this book is making me crave some spicy Chinese! I think I may be hitting Chinatown as soon as tomorrow once I know exactly what to look for. LOL