• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

1 hour ago, David Ross said:

It's so difficult to find really good fruit for the cakes.  

I am sure your memories are of excellent fruitcake. I only replicated a memory of the Panamanian's  grandmother's. It was generic fruit stuff in the tub but soaked for a couple months in booze. Kept in a cool dark place - well as cool as Los Angeles gets. A very strong taste memory of a dark fruitcake - moist and thinly sliced.  Probably posted this before but just in case: So ours was kinda backwards- the fruit boozy. We ate it over a month or more as slowly as we could allow ourselves. I'd pack up a couple slices before I went to school. With strong coffee kept me all day through some of those intense Socratic method law school classes. The cake batter reference is hard to read - from Culinary Arts Institute cookbook p. 659 - Wedding Cake.

frcake 1.JPG

fcake2.JPG

heidih

heidih

58 minutes ago, David Ross said:

It's so difficult to find really good fruit for the cakes.  

I am sure your memories are of excellent fruitcake. I only replicated a memory of the Jamaican's grandmother. It was generic fruit stuff in the tub but soaked for a couple months in booze. Kept in a cool dark place - well as cool as Los Angeles gets. A very strong taste memory of a dark fruitcake - moist and thinly sliced.  Probably posted this before but just in case: So ours was kinda backwards- the fruit boozy. We ate it over a month or more as slowly as we could allow ourselves. I'd pack up a couple slices before I went to school. With strong coffee kept me all day through some of those intense Socratic method law school classes. The cake batter reference is hard to read - from Culinary Arts Institute cookbook p. 659 - Wedding Cake.

frcake 1.JPG

fcake2.JPG