• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foodie Stag (Bachelor) Party locations

Simon_S

I've been to enough "get drunk, fall over" stag parties in my time that I'd like to do something a little different for my own. I was thinking of gathering together a group of 6 like-minded friends and heading away for a weekend somewhere in either Spain or France, where we could eat well before getting drunk and falling over.

Our requirements are few in many ways: at least one top-drawer restaurant and ample opportunities for pub-crawling, etc. Near a beach for daytime would be a bonus but not crucial. We don't need nightclubs or strippers (they can wait until the "other" stag party). For some reason I'm struggling to come up with the ideal location. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Si

PS I'll be posting this in the Spain and Portugal forum as well. I hope I'm not contravening any rules in doing so. Apologies to those who end up reading this post twice.

monaco... dinner at le louis XV, ducasses restaurant.. right on one of the most beautiful beaches in the world, and plenty of hotels and bars to go to. you will just have to pony up a lot of cash!

Thanks Le Peche, I'd be lying if I said it hadn't crossed my mind.

Monaco was the site of the proposal that led to said Stag Party, and Louis XV was the restaurant of choice for dinner that night. I'm somewhat "reluctant" to repeat it with the lads...

Tell me, though, is there anywhere else you'd recommend on the Cote D'Azur?

Not helpful vis a vis finding places on the Cote d'Azur, but very glad to find a fellow spirit when it comes to the subject of how to celebrate a Stag Night.

One of the prouder moments of my foodie career was recognising Gearoid Devaney - the sommelier at Tom Aikens in London:

"I recognise you," I said, "Weren't you at Pierre Gagnaire ? You don't get many Irish sommeliers at 3* Michelin restaurants in Paris."

"I recognise you," said Gearoid, "You don't get many stag nights at Pierre Gagnaire..."

For what it's worth I wouldn't rush to L'Oasis at La Napoule, in case that was on your list. V.disappointing luch there a year or two ago for my father's 80th. Tipped as a rising 2* in Michelin, I thought it was heading in the opposite direction. Granted it was lunch, but thought they could manage better for dessert than simply to wheel round a trolley which wasn't that much more accomplished than your average patisserie. Also "tropical" ambience somehow left me feeling that i'd been dining in a garden centre. Ho hum.

Gareth

Thanks to all for the suggestions. It looks like San Sebastian is going to get the nod after all.

Gareth, I love that story, absolutely brilliant stuff. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that a stag is the ideal opportunity to eat well. I wonder could I persuade the lads to splash out for Yquem or something...