• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foodie Stag (Bachelor) Party locations

Simon_S

I've been to enough "get drunk, fall over" stag parties in my time that I'd like to do something a little different for my own. I was thinking of gathering together a group of 6 like-minded friends and doing a weekend somewhere in either Spain or France where we could eat well before getting drunk and falling over.

Our requirements are few in many ways: at least one top-drawer restaurant and ample opportunities for pub-crawling, etc. Near a beach for daytime would be a bonus but not crucial. We don't need nightclubs or strippers (they can wait until the "other" stag party). For some reason I'm struggling to come up with the ideal location. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Si

PS I'll be posting this in the France forum as well. I hope I'm not contravening any rules in doing so. Apologies to those who end up reading this post twice.

San Sebastian:

- A very compact area of bars for drinks and tapas in the old town. Some of them are very, very good, others just good.

- A couple of good beaches, with some reasonable surf. You could book some surfing lessons or hire some boards (if experienced) and that will blow the cobwebs out of the system.

- Very good selection of Michelin starred restaurants both in the town, and the surrounding areas. Can be nice to go out for a long, long lunch in the country - I recommend Mugaritz (molecular) or Etxebarri (asador).

- Small and compact so it is quite easy to walk around without resorting to taxis or buses.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'd especially love to go to San Sebastian, as it's been on my "must-do" list for a while. The only problem is that I had always intended to go with wife-to-be. Oh well, maybe this is the ideal opportunity to check it out so I'll know all the good places to go when I return...!

One of our party is just back from a very successful trip to Barcelona, and he has made it clear he'd be happy to go back in a few months. That's a definite maybe as it's just such a great city.

I don't think I could go to Roses without an elBulli booking -- it would only taunt me!! Realistically, it probably isn't my cup of tea as a location without the elBulli connection, although I really *do* have to make it to Rafa's sometime as we couldn't get a table on our last visit.

Are there any less-well-known places that anyone might recommend? Somewhere a little off the beaten track, perhaps? I'm just curious.

Thanks again.

Si

Are there any less-well-known places that anyone might recommend? Somewhere a little off the beaten track, perhaps? I'm just curious.

You might look into Cádiz. It's a very alluring town (definitely more off the beaten track) and it's in a region with great seafood, sherry, etc.

Cadiz sounds interesting, I'll add it to the list of potentials.

Is Girona too quiet to keep us amused for a weekend? It does of course have Can Roca, but is that all there is? I was there before and I seem to remember it totally shutting down on Sunday. Is that still the case?

Shutting down on Sunday is pretty general in Spain (and Monday isn't much better). Another perhaps slightly less well known alternative could be Murcia. One of their local delicacies is a meat pie with brain (pastel de carne, though there are brain-free versions), which could be a suitable stag challenge? It also has some good tapas bars and quite a party atmosphere. There are also quite a few activities in the surrounding countryside including watersports in the nearby mar menor. (Just avert your eyes from the vile La Manga strip resort!)

San Sebastian is almost perfect for what you want, although all-nighters might be tricky.

Barcelona would be just fine, although an awful lot of places are shut on Sundays. But the bar-hopping would be later and more diverse.

Sevile isn't a bad town to go from bar to bar. No beach though.

San Sebastian is almost perfect for what you want, although all-nighters might be tricky.

Barcelona would be just fine, although an awful lot of places are shut on Sundays. But the bar-hopping would be later and more diverse.

Sevile isn't a bad town to go from bar to bar. No beach though.

Seville is a good thought especially if you go for a big blow out dinner at La Alqueria in el Bulli's Hacienda Benazuza.

Just to let you know...this was an inspiring post after putting up with the lager louts outside my home in Vancouver on Saint Patrick's day. Thumbs up on real men who love top drawer restaurants in Spain. See you there soon. I forwarded this post to a foodie site here in Vancouver.

Stephen Bonner

Urban Diner Website

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

It looks like San Sebastian is winning. It just ticks so many boxes.

SBonner, the annual embarrassment that is St. Patrick's Day ensured that I gave Dublin city centre a wide berth yesterday. I enjoy a drink as much as the next man, and have experienced my fair share of drunkenness over the years, but the image of hordes of 14 year-olds vomiting in the street by lunchtime is too much for me.

In any case, my companions and I are very much looking forward to this trip. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

• 3 weeks later...

So San Sebastian got the nod from everyone, flights are booked, and we have reservations at Akelare on the Saturday night. It was widely felt that while a lunch would be optimal given the views from the restaurant, the likelihood of 6 Irish guys on a stag surfacing early enough and in good enough health to enjoy such a meal would be slim indeed!

Truth be told, the Pintxo possibilities are exciting us just as much as the Michelin excursion. The photos on here have greatly whetted our appetites, not to mention the promise of inexpensive high quality wines told to us by friends who recently visited the area. Basically, we can't wait!!

Si