• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whole Foods - Clifton?

tug

I was at my hairdressers the other day, for a touch-up and injection of local neighborhood gossip. Just over the din of the hairdryers there was an animated discussion of a Whole Foods coming to Clifton, nestled in the complex on Route 3 West and Alwood Road, right next to TGIF.

Is there any validity to this rumour? I'd love to expand my grocery options beyond Shoprite-ShopNStop without having to schlep to Montclair.

Peter: You're a spy

Harry: I'm not a spy, I'm a shepherd

Peter: Ah! You're a shepherd's pie!

- The Goons

live well, laugh often, love much

I was at my hairdressers the other day, for a touch-up and injection of local neighborhood gossip.  Just over the din of the hairdryers there was an animated discussion of a Whole Foods coming to Clifton, nestled in the complex on Route 3 West and Alwood Road, right next to TGIF.

Well, you can expand OK, but it will be a Trader Joe's, not a Whole Foods.

http://njmg.typepad.com/jean/2008/01/stew-leonards-a.html

I believe the Stew Leonards referred to will not be a full Stew Leonards, but a wine store.

TJ's!!! awesome news :D

Peter: You're a spy

Harry: I'm not a spy, I'm a shepherd

Peter: Ah! You're a shepherd's pie!

- The Goons

live well, laugh often, love much

I'd prefer a Wegman's, but I suppose that's too much to ask for.

We can dream, can't we?!?

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I was at my hairdressers the other day, for a touch-up and injection of local neighborhood gossip.  Just over the din of the hairdryers there was an animated discussion of a Whole Foods coming to Clifton, nestled in the complex on Route 3 West and Alwood Road, right next to TGIF.

Well, you can expand OK, but it will be a Trader Joe's, not a Whole Foods.

http://njmg.typepad.com/jean/2008/01/stew-leonards-a.html

I believe the Stew Leonards referred to will not be a full Stew Leonards, but a wine store.

I noticed that construction last week & wondered what the heck it was.

TJ's is useless.

If enough of us say "Wegman's" will they build one?

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

• 4 months later...

so, any new info? the stew leonards wine store is open i think. yes tj's? no tj's? i know trader joe's is not a real supermarket, but it would be nice to be able to stop on the way home after work for some specific instead of having to wait until sunday to go to paramus (you won't catch me there any other time; i hate route 17).

I drove past the construction site last night. It's called the Promenade Shops at Clifton and the builders are Poag, McEwen and The Briad Group.

I went onto their website to read what little I could find about the stores that are leasing at this site. So far, just a few clothing stores and a Cosi Sandwich Shop. The sign says something like "distinctive regional shops and restaurants."

Saw nothing on their website about a Whole Foods or a TJ coming to this shopping mall. I would love either of them since we don't have them in this area (with the exception of the WF in West Orange and a TJs in Florham Park).

The construction site is quite large so there will be a fair amount of stores available to lease.

Stopped in at Stew Leonard's on the way out. They had a large selection of wines...almost overwhelming. Prices are comparable to Total Wines in West Orange.

M.D.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there's no plans for a Trader Joe's in Clifton. I emailed them and asked for a rumor confirmation and this was the reply:

"We appreciate your suggestions and enthusiasm regarding opening a store in Clifton ,NJ. We regret to inform you that at this time we have no confirmed plans for a store location in this area."

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there's no plans for a Trader Joe's in Clifton. I emailed them and asked for a rumor confirmation and this was the reply:

"We appreciate your suggestions and enthusiasm regarding opening a store in Clifton ,NJ. We regret to inform you that at this time we have no confirmed plans for a store location in this area."

waahhh! oh, well. i shop at wf in west orange and montclair, too. it would have been nice to have something so close to home as i work in secaucus and going to west orange/montclair after work is too much.

• 1 month later...
I found Stew's wines to be a bit overpriced.

I was really looking forward  to the TJ's.  There REALLY  is no good food store in Clifton.

I shop at the WF in Montclair or West Orange.

Heuriger Wein is mein Lieblingswein!

I was really looking forward  to the TJ's.  There REALLY  is no good food store in Clifton.

Boy do I agree . Have you ever experienced that Acme at Styertowne? What a nightmare.