• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

In Gaithersburg on Business

Zeemanb

I'm just going to bottom-line this......I'm at the Hilton on Perry Pkwy, in town on business until Thursday, and out of my hotel window I spy Boston Market, Chipotle and a Sam's Club....

Where can I get a decent lunch in the area? This is a hi-tech corridor of sorts I guess, so I'm hoping for any good Thai, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, African, Malaysian, Japanese, Indian....ANY tasty non-chain food where I can get there and back during an hour lunch. I'm looking on Yahoo Maps and see places like Likefe International Restaurant, Old Siam Restaurant, Rainbow African Restaurant, La Flor de la Canela, Song Toy Restaurant and Madras Palace. Any of those ring a bell for anyone?

I just can't do the group lunch at Boston Market....... and I am planning to make it to Cafe Atlantico in DC on Wednesday night, so at least I've got that going for me.

Seriously, I would have done better research before now, but I really had no idea that the immediate area around the hotel would be a carbon copy of any other strip mall five minutes from my house in KC.

A HUGE thanks for any input here.....sorry I didn't ask for help sooner!

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

Catch a ride with someone to Roy's Place, on the edge of downtown Gaithersburg. Your hour time limit may be a problem, however, as it takes that long just to study the menu, which contains well over 100 sandwich's, most of them unlike anything you are likely to see anywhere else.

My husband worked at NIST until last week. There is an ok vegetarian Indian place in the mall immediately to your left after you go under 270 heading west on Montgomery Village Ave. You could walk there, if you were hard up.

There's a Peruvian chicken place on the other side of the big shopping mall, in an adjunct mall called the Off Price Center. There is also a Trader Joe's there, you can grab some decent to go stuff sometimes.

We've never gotten poisoned from the Chinese place in the BACK of the shopping center in front of you with the book store and CVS.

Roy's Place is ok as a cutesy destination if you were going out as a group. I love the Mother's Ruin. I lived on it when I was pregnant.

ETA When Sleeping Beauty (that would be my recently retired husband) wakes up, I'll ask him for other suggestions.

Edited by pax (log)
“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

Great info, thanks guys! Roy's Place is about 2 miles away according to Yahoo Maps, and it definitely sounds like a decent common denominator when you have 15 folks in the group.

I've never been to a Trader Joe's before, so I'll absolutely go there to stock up on snacks, etc. and do some recon on the Indian/Peruvian places.

Polling the group here as we waste the first two hours of the day getting everyone connected to the network.......someone knows where to find good pho about 8 miles from here, and apparently some decent dim sum as well. The Boston Market crowd can go and fend for themselves, I'm attaching myself to the pho-aficionado who actually has a car....

Looking at Roy's menu and getting Shopsin's (NYC) flashbacks........I have to go there just to honor some of the names of the sandwiches....

Thanks again!

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

Um.....no good way to say this other than to just say it.....all of my per diem cash for this trip and then some went to into the till at Cafe Atlantico tonight.......totally worth it and I'll elaborate on that thread tomorrow. I'll still try to make it to Roy's and get some pho before I leave on Thursday, but in keeping with my business travel tradition I burned bright and fast tonight. That's just how I roll......

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

Um.....no good way to say this other than to just say it.....all of my per diem cash for this trip and then some went to into the till at Cafe Atlantico tonight.......totally worth it and I'll elaborate on that thread tomorrow.  I'll still try to make it to Roy's and get some pho before I leave on Thursday, but in keeping with my business travel tradition I burned bright and fast tonight.  That's just how I roll......

:biggrin: Do you have enough to eat? My husband is coming down there for yoga tonight and he can drop off a care package. I'm sending him to Trader Joe's anyway...

Can't have you wasting away in that Hilton. :wink:

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

PS Don't feel bad about Roy's, reading the menu is the most fun and you've already done it. : )

:biggrin: Do you have enough to eat? My husband is coming down there for yoga tonight and he can drop off a care package. I'm sending him to Trader Joe's anyway...

Can't have you wasting away in that Hilton. :wink:

Oh, I'm totally stocked on food for the rest of the trip......that's the beauty of bariatric surgery....I stole a bunch of crackers and ketchup packets from the company cafeteria, I'm eating like a KING between now and tomorrow! :biggrin:

Some of the group went to a Japanese/Korean place called "Ichiban" across the street from us last night. This morning they were saying it was great, but I'm guessing my dinner was better...... :wub:

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011