• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Puerco Pibil

Elrushbo

Made it for the second time tonight, came out good but I think I could make it better. I know some people tinker with the traditional recipie, if anyone has some ideas, I'd love to hear them. I used one lemon and two limes instead of the five lemons. Seemed like it could use maybe one more lemon. Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Made it for the second time tonight, came out good but I think I could make it better. I know some people tinker with the traditional recipie, if anyone has some ideas, I'd love to hear them. I used one lemon and two limes instead of the five lemons. Seemed like it could use maybe one more lemon. Any ideas greatly appreciated.

If I even knew what it was. Posting so I can follow later.

can you get bitter orange where you are? iif so that is what will make it better...if not add some regular fresh squeezed orange or even tangerine juice with both lemons and limes a mix of citrus instead of just lemons...

and more is better!!!

good luck I think that if you are not adding the orange flavor that is what you are missing

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

• 2 years later...

Tomorrow is our 51st anniversary...OMG I cannot believe it...and I am making Puerco Pibil for our celebration lunch. First time. Found three recipes and after comparing them in each ingredient and amounts, went with the one from Robert Rodriguez, supposedly the one which is eaten by Johnny Depp's character in "Once Upon a Time in Mexico".

I actually followed the recipe very closely except that I used lime juice instead of vinegar, seeing as I used Seville oranges instead of plain undifferentiated orange juice. Oh well, I cannot recall ever following a recipe exactly...mostly I don't have some ingredient.

Right. I also used a combination of cinnamon and nutmeg instead of cloves which I didn't have. I'd better stop here. It's marinating in the fridge right now.

P2080001_01.JPG

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

When I can't get the sour oranges, I use calamondon oranges, since I always have a bush of that.

But they're small.

So if I don't have enough of them, or don't have any ripe ones, or have no other choice, I use a mixture of orange and grapefruit juices for Cochinita Pibil.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Lucky you. Well as it happens, I do have the beginnings of a calamondon bush...it's now 22" tall and if I live another 25 years it will probably have some oranges on it. Yes, I do have a second one, not quite so tall. They came from sprouting seeds from a friend's trees.

There are just so many recipes for each dish that I find it overwhelming with each new dish. I wish I could find someone to take me in hand and teach me the basics of what I want to know.

Thanks for all your help, Jaymes.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Happy anniversary!

I'm curious to see the recipe you're using, and how you're serving. Around here we serve with a purple onion and habanero quick pickle (escabeche) that's probably illegal under international agreements on chemical weapons.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

The Puerco Pibil marinated for about 5 hours in the fridge and then cooked in a slow cooker overnight. I just tasted it. OMIGAWD! :wub: :wub: I swear I have never tasted anything so enchanting, so good, so delicious. I am in Pibil Heaven.

I'll try to get a photo of the lunch plate (although I am neither photographer or plating chef).

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Well, as usual I forgot the photo until I was part way through eating...not that it would have looked any different from the start. The potatoes are a recipe from one of those Southwestern MOR cookbooks which is neither here nor there, with changes of course. We both love it.

P2090001_01.JPG

I loved the meat and sauce. DH liked it, but at this point is rather more fond of commercial BBQ sauces /aka SUGAR. I might try melting some brown sugar and adding it to the leftover sauce and see if he prefers it. Pas moi.

ps. Added a ton of brown sugar and some molasses. He likes it! What can I say? He was raised on sugar pie.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Happy anniversary!

I'm curious to see the recipe you're using, and how you're serving. Around here we serve with a purple onion and habanero quick pickle (escabeche) that's probably illegal under international agreements on chemical weapons.

Yes, one should make the traditional pickled onions to go with it. There are lots of good recipes around.

And Darienne, your dish sounds amazing.

Were you able to find the frozen banana leaves in one of the markets up there? If not, what did you use?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Were you able to find the frozen banana leaves in one of the markets up there? If not, what did you use?

Oops. That was the other thing I changed.

I used a wing and a prayer and a crock-pot.

Sorry. :sad:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Happy Anniversay Darienne and Ed !! Wow, 51 years, that is quite an accomplishment. And your pork looks ahhh-mazing ! I'll have to give that a try, know that I know it could be done in a crocker.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Oops. That was the other thing I changed.

I used a wing and a prayer and a crock-pot.

Sorry. :sad:

Well, I'm sure the Indians in the Yucatan would have, too, if they'd had one available, instead of all that digging!

:biggrin:

• 2 months later...

A Puerco Pibil question:

I just made it again and again it was delicious. Even DH was raving this time around. And again I made it in a crock pot. The question is about the banana leaves: I finally have some, frozen.

What about using them in a crock pot? Line the bottom, put in the pork and sauce, and then one on top? Does that sound reasonable?

What do the experts think? (Besides that I shouldn't make it in a crock pot at all.) :raz:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

A Puerco Pibil question:

I just made it again and again it was delicious. Even DH was raving this time around. And again I made it in a crock pot. The question is about the banana leaves: I finally have some, frozen.

What about using them in a crock pot? Line the bottom, put in the pork and sauce, and then one on top? Does that sound reasonable?

What do the experts think? (Besides that I shouldn't make it in a crock pot at all.) :raz:

Well, I'm no "expert," but while we both wait for one to arrive, I'll answer as best I can.

I don't know about the crock pot and banana leaves. Seems like it might work. I don't know why not.

I wrap it in banana leaves - into packets that are about the proper size for one serving, and tie with twine. And then pack them into a Dutch Oven. Then cover and bake. And that's how I serve it, too. Each person gets one packet on their plate, which they unwrap. It makes for a great presentation as well as being delicious. I suppose I might try wrapping it in the same sorts of packages, and then stacking the packages in the crockpot.

Folks in the know that have actually had this dish cooked in a "pibil" in the Yucatan say that it's not the same without that smokey fire flavor, and I've thought about smoking the packets low and slow in a barbecue grill or smoker, but haven't tried it.

I'll be curious to see how yours turns out.

PS - Just in case you don't know how to make those banana leaves pliable: Wash them off a bit (they're often dirty), then dry them, then heat them, either over an electric or gas burner. As they heat up, they'll soften so that you can fold them.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

A Puerco Pibil question:

Absolutely use the banana leaves in the crockpot! No sticking, no muss, no fuss, and you also get the delicious smokey flavour from the leaves. Just be sure to oil the walls of the crock before you line it, and you're good to go. I'd line the bottom and walls, then top with a final piece of leaf - but that's just me.

A note about frozen banana leaves, too - I haven't used them in a while (I have my own plants now), but when I was using them regularly I found that bringing them to room temperature slowly then immersing the leaves in warm (not boiling) water made them more pliable and easier to use.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Jaymes and P.C. Next time, banana leaves for sure, but just top and bottom. I am far to lazy to do the packety thing. Not only that, I am likely to cook way more than we can use at once and then use the rest for something else.

Thanks. :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Jaymes and P.C. Next time, banana leaves for sure, but just top and bottom. I am far to lazy to do the packety thing. Not only that, I am likely to cook way more than we can use at once and then use the rest for something else.

Thanks. :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.