• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

James Beard Awards Gala

catsrus9

Hi everyone,

First off, I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong board....I didn't know where to put it, and since the gala occurs in NYC, I figured that was my best bet.

I've always been really curious about going to the James Beard Awards Gala, simply because the menu of offered dishes always look quite incredible. However, as I've never been, I have no idea if its actually worth the hefty price tag (even as a student the price is still $200!). Is the food nearly as good as it would be in the actual restaurants, or is it dumbed down/simplified so that it can be mass produced and served to 1000s of people without getting cold?

If anyone has been to the banquet in the past, I would greatly appreciate his/her input.

Many thanks!

My best,

Charlie

Charlie,

I did not go last year, but attended the previous year as a guest of JBF. Even with an elevated "sponsor" status, the food was NOT the highlight of our evening. As with any walk-around mass-feeding tasting event (Starchefs, Taste of the Nation, Citymeals-onWheels, etc.) there tends to be too many people and not enough food. Also, no matter how talented the chef, food prepared in makeshift kitchens over butane burners or left in chafing dishes will never be an accurate representation of anyone's talent.

You should DEFINITELY GO, but more because it's an opportunity to commune with chefs and to meet and greet anyone who's anyone in the industry. The chefs there were very "real" and eager to share with most every attendee. As a student attendee, they may be even more open. I think that's because the investment you must make to attend really reflects your passion for food.

I'm not sure how that has changed now that they got even bigger and moved to Lincoln Center, but I imagine the food situation may be even worse.

Hi everyone,

First off, I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong board....I didn't know where to put it, and since the gala occurs in NYC, I figured that was my best bet.

I've always been really curious about going to the James Beard Awards Gala, simply because the menu of offered dishes always look quite incredible. However, as I've never been, I have no idea if its actually worth the hefty price tag (even as a student the price is still $200!). Is the food nearly as good as it would be in the actual restaurants, or is it dumbed down/simplified so that it can be mass produced and served to 1000s of people without getting cold?

If anyone has been to the banquet in the past, I would greatly appreciate his/her input.

Many thanks!

My best,

Charlie