• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pre-salting Steak - what's the latest thinking?

joesan

There are a couple of older threads on pre-salting but they mainly concentrate on poultry or are inconclusive on steak. In general it seems to me that salting a la Zuni or Thomas Keller on poultry works great.

What are your views on pre-salting steak at the moment? Can you only use kosher or sea salt or is ordinary table salt okay too? I would particularly like to hear from people who have tried it rather than the speculators!

I am thinking to heavily pre-salt my steaks for one hour before service, rinse well, dry thoroughly and then sear away. I am also debating whether to use my new Jaccard or not in tandem with the pre-salting.

Well, for one, I rarely use table salt with anything. Just personal preference.

I always presalt my meat, even the tender cuts. It tends to brown quicker and better and I've never had an issue with it sucking the moisture out of my meats. That's a complete wives tale, as far as I'm concerned.

There are a couple of older threads on pre-salting but they mainly concentrate on poultry or are inconclusive on steak. In general it seems to me that salting a la Zuni or Thomas Keller on poultry works great.

What are your views on pre-salting steak at the moment? Can you only use kosher or sea salt or is ordinary table salt okay too? I would particularly like to hear from people who have tried it rather than the speculators!

I am thinking to heavily pre-salt my steaks for one hour before service, rinse well, dry thoroughly and then sear away. I am also debating whether to use my new Jaccard or not in tandem with the pre-salting.

“Cooking is an art, but you eat it too.”

I season steaks with oregano and black pepper, for an hour while the steaks reach room temperature. Not to permeate the meat, but it's one less thing to do while my pan is on the fire.

I add salt just before the steaks hit the pan.

If I'm not allowed to speculate, I got nothing more to say. :biggrin:

I never used to presalt ..then I did ..now I always do ..I use DC Kosher salt and just sear it on both sides...perfect flavor perfect sear ..I can not imagine not doing it anymore!

also the steak must be at room temp and like above salt just before searing

no science here I just really think it makes for a better steak!

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I have found that pre-salting steak is a good idea. It allows the salt to penetrate the steak better, and it draws out a minor amount of fluid which facilitates the creation of a maillardized crust (the amount of fluid drawn out is significant to the formation of the crust, but insignificant with respect to overall juiciness).

I would not, however, pre-season with either herbs or black pepper, as these will tend to burn on a hot pan.

--

I always pre-salt red meat when I have the time. I like to age my steaks for a couple of days anyway, so I'll pre-salt them and let them set in the fridge for 3-4 days. I think it definitely helps the salt distribute evenly.

If you're going to rinse your meat an hour before cooking, I think it will be difficult no matter how much drying you do to get the surface dry enough for an optimal crust. I'd rinse further in advance.

---

al wang

Thanks for all the advice guys. I've already pre-salted them and will be cooking them up in one hour so it is a little late to try your advice Alwang. I will try it the way you suggest next time though.

I've covered them in coarse sea salt, some sliced garlic and some rosemary. I am sceptical that the rosemary or garlic will do much but thought I'd give it a go.

After an hour the plan is to rinse everything off, thoroughly try them and then jaccard then it is on to the grill.

I must say I've been thinking about the prejudice against table salt and am not convinced that it would be much different in this use than sea salt etc. For dishes where the texture of the salt matters e.g. after plating a foie gras or duck or something similar I would use a Maldon salt or Fleur de Sel but surely in this case anyone would be hard pressed to tell the difference?

Well here is my report - the steaks were very tender, think this might have been helped by the Jaccard, and pretty tasty but really too salty. I do think there is something to be said for presalting but I think I will try with substantially less salt next time...

I presalt steaks that I am freezing, using significantly less salt than I would otherwise. I only use Kosher salt, and have found the suggested amounts to be far too salty for me in the past. I don't rinse before cooking, tho.

I also season with pepper at the same time. I think the flavor penetrates much better than just seasoning before cooking.

Ideally,(if I don't freeze them) I presalt and then refrigerate for 1-2 days.

I must say I've been thinking about the prejudice against table salt and am not convinced that it would be much different in this use than sea salt etc. For dishes where the texture of the salt matters e.g. after plating a foie gras or duck or something similar I would use a Maldon salt or Fleur de Sel but surely in this case anyone would be hard pressed to tell the difference?

I agree that for presalting meat, I don't find a significant difference between non-iodized table salt and any other. I use Diamond kosher salt because it's virtually as cheap, and more versatile for other things where the salt crystal structure makes more difference. I also like getting used to the consistency of one salt, as it makes it easier to measure by feel.

---

al wang