• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Pizza in Boston: Gran Gusto

kelly001

OK. Please don't come down on me with boxes of Pizzeria Regina slamming me front all sides but I have to say that Gran Gusto in Cambridge (on Sherman Street) is by far the best pizza in the area. Let me clarify this, it's the best authentic Neapolitan pizza in the area. The owner worked in the restaurant industry in Naples until he moved to the States three years ago. He's very much into authenticity and doesn't cut any corners to reproduce the pizzas from his homeland. These are cooked in a wood-fired oven; he imports a special mozzarella cheese, etc. The pizzas are delicate with a lightly charred thin crust and a simple tomato sauce of San Marzano tomatoes. This is not your greasy and oversized “American” type pizza.

I tried their homemade tiramisu and it was also one of the best examples of this dessert I had ever tasted. They also pulled a proper European espresso.

On the downside, the service was kind of lacking and the décor is rather tacky. The prices are higher than your regular pizza joint, but this is not your regular pizza joint. To situate, it’s in the same price range as pizzas from Figs or Cambridge 1. They also offer other Italian dishes including homemade pasta dishes but I have not tried those.

What do you like about Gran Gusto?

Pizzeria Regina is beloved by many, but IMHO it's only okay. In the North End, I recommend Ernesto's (with maybe 6 tables--not recommended for atmosphere) or Cambridge I at Harvard Sq. and most recently at Boylston Street, Boston, close to Fenway Park. Different styles of pizza entirely, but both wonderful.

What do you like about Gran Gusto?

I like their pizzas, which are classic European style pizzas that I grew up with, back on the old continent. I was never a fan of Regina myself and found some solace in the pizzas at Figs, Cambridge 1 and to some extent the pizza at Iggy's Bread of the World Bakery. But really Grand Gusto is much better than either one of those options. The crust is just right, the proportion of toppings, sauce and cheese is well balanced. The excellent ingredients are thoughtfully selected. It's quality versus quantity. It's a crust that isn't a cracker and is neither chewy or doughy. Give it a try...

PS: their homemade tiramisu was excellent with a nice tang of coffee and alcohol.

• 1 month later...

While I'm not sure where I'd place it with a gun to my head, Gran Gusto certainly has to be in the running for the title of best pizza in Boston(I remain partial to the original Stone Hearth in Belmont but confess I've not been there since they've expanded so it's possible there's been some loss of quality). I'll echo pretty much all the comments given by Kelly save that i found the flavor of my pizza margherita almost overly sweet on one visit. Generally though, food is pretty good, pizza is very good and the prices, while not take out joint cheap are actually quite reasonable given it's Cambridge and it's a full service place.

My only complaint is that Sherman Street is a bit of a backwater unless you live in the neighborhood.

As always, just my $.02

• 3 weeks later...