• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

chefBURGER

I circled back around recently for a few burgers.

The "Hawaiian Burger" was more of a Hawaii Comes To The Midwest Burger. Save the the grilled pineapple, the rest of it wasn't terribly tropical: bacon, Pepperjack cheese, and Srirachi coleslaw. Overall, it was fine; the burger patty itself was rather bland and relied on the other ingredients for flavor.

My friends and I revisited Thanksgiving with the "Turkey Burger," which was slightly better than last time, owing to a reduction in mayonnaise.

Generally, the use of condiments was, thankfully, more restrained. Also, the waffle fries were much less greasy than last time. Milkshakes were just as watery as before. I think I'm done with the milkshakes at chefBURGER - or at least until I hear that they've thickened them up.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I took the kids (8 and 16) there a couple weeks ago. 8 YO had the hot dog and refused to eat it after one bite. I would have finished it, but it was drowned in the ketchup she requsted. My vegetarian 16 YO hated her falafel buger. My bleu cheese buger was OK. Fries were good. Kind of expensive for what it was.

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

I like this place for a go-to lunch or dinner if I'm down in P&L anyway. The burgers are tasty, very messy, and very topping-focused, and the waffle fries have actually been pretty good. It is a tad pricey for a burger and fries though, and would not be my choice if I were craving a hamburger and going out specifically for that purpose. But I haven't walked out unhappy.

Also, I agree that the milkshakes are on the thin side, but I think that consistency works if your order one of the spiked ones, which are really fun.

I guess my take on it is - there are better places to go for burgers, for fries, and for milkshakes, but it's not a bad choice if you're in the area.

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest

Seen on a chalk clapboard outside of chefBURGER:

Daily Special

$8.95 for a chefBURGER, fries, and a drink.

$9.95 for a chefBURGER with cheese, fries, and a drink.

M-F 11am-2pm."

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Seen on a chalk clapboard outside of chefBURGER:

Daily Special

$8.95 for a chefBURGER, fries, and a drink. 

$9.95 for a chefBURGER with cheese, fries, and a drink. 

M-F 11am-2pm."

They need to change their sign! We stopped by Chefburger Sunday for the first time in several months. The fries we ordered weren't fries at all, but the kind of fast food potato product that is cooked, then extruded into fake waffle shapes, then frozen. Not good at all :shock: They were very similar to what kids are served in school cafeterias. If I would have known that they were billing those as fries, I wouldn't have ordered them.

The Chefburger was okay, but wasn't very hot. It appeared that maybe they are pre cooking the burger somewhat. We got are order in less than 5 minutes.