• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

chefBURGER

Sources tell me that chefBURGER will open its doors today. I have no idea if that is for lunch or dinner.

I drove by Saturday, and it appeared ready to go (it's quite snappy-looking, the odd burger-headed alien-like mascot aside). I'll be anxious to see the menu.

Off topic: chefBURGER is around the corner from the new Bristol, which was truly gorgeous. Heck, the Chipotle across the street was gorgeous, with its indigo-tiled facade. I love indigo. I love Chipotle. I just wish I didn't have to pay $10 to park for my $6 burrito.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Where is chefBURGER located?

edited to make corrections before I get my hand slapped, :laugh: .

Edited by joiei (log)

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

it's in the P&L district, SE downtown

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Heard last night they had over 100 for lunch the first two days - that's not a "soft" opening at all.

I'm going to brave it late into the lunch hour today and will report back.

It's a baptism by fire for all of the new openings this week (incl Gordon Biersch) since both Big XII tournaments are going on. They'll probably have to hire all new staff next week. :sad::shock:

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I arrived at 1:30 and, although the place was mostly full, there was no wait. By now (day 3) they have altered the menu and there are ~10 combinations of burgers and maybe another 4 dogs. I don't know if the Build Your Own Burger is dead or just resting until they are ramped up but it appears the change mitigated the long waits of the first two days.

The decor is attractive, modern to match most of P&L, and not a far cry from Souperman. In fact, there are similarities visible here and there, including the use of aluminum rectagular cake pans (or 1/4 sheets, maybe? Not a baker) as trays, NYC-ish squatty paper cups. Carryout was in brown paper bags.

I had a Kansas City BBQ-Bacon-Bleu burger, a riff on my favorite Souperman sanditto [sic]. It was delicious - burger cooked perfectly for me (although an accident - they don't ask how you want them at this point - maybe, someday). I had heard they were big and messy and mine was no exception. Due to the strong flavors involved, I will probably ask them to dial-down the volume on both bbq and bleu but the burger and bacon were awesome and the over-dressing fixed by removing the uneaten half of the top bun to finish the burger (also fine with me since I was getting full). I also enjoyed the fries, which are the closest to my favorite childhood fries, with something resembling seasoned salt but having more celery component than, for example, Lawry's. I heard the sweet potato fries are good but I'll never know, not being a fan.

The list of sides/salads was impressive but I will have to eat a whole bunch of burgers and dogs before I'm tempted to try them. Except for the slaw, which looked wonderful and will probably be my next foray.

If you're a dessert/ice cream hound, they had about 10 flavors of soft-serve/milkshakes and they make "adult" shakes as well. Oh, and they have our beloved Boulevard on tap (4 kinds).

That's about all I can remember - the dash back uphill to my office and lack of A/C once I arrived having nearly rendered me comatose. Couldn't have been the burger & fries. :wink:

M.F.K. Fisher

Sounds like we have our very own Shake Shack ®.

Thanks for that recap, moosnsqrl!!

I had a Kansas City BBQ-Bacon-Bleu burger, a riff on my favorite Souperman sanditto [sic].
I love that you insist on [sic]'ing a word that is entirely the creation for the sake of marketing food. I mean, do you follow Haagen Dazs, too? :wink:
It was delicious - burger cooked perfectly for me (although an accident - they don't ask how you want them at this point - maybe, someday).  I had heard they were big and messy and mine was no exception.  Due to the strong flavors involved, I will probably ask them to dial-down the volume on both bbq and bleu but the burger and bacon were awesome and the over-dressing fixed by removing the uneaten half of the top bun to finish the burger (also fine with me since I was getting full).  I also enjoyed the fries, which are the closest to my favorite childhood fries, with something resembling seasoned salt but having more celery component than, for example, Lawry's.  I heard the sweet potato fries are good but I'll never know, not being a fan.
This IS promising. I assume that the patties are cooked to order? Are they thick, or more of thin and greasy ones?
If you're a dessert/ice cream hound, they had about 10 flavors of soft-serve/milkshakes and they make "adult" shakes as well.  Oh, and they have our beloved Boulevard on tap (4 kinds).

Oh, now that IS something to rejoice over (the ice cream, not the beer).

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I ate there tonight and I really had a good burger.

I like the layout of the place and the prices are reasonable.

I had the hawaiian, which had bacon, pineapple, and sriracha coleslaw.

The burger was cooked perfectly and the bun couldn't be any better.

Everything tasted really fresh.

I figured the burger would be sloppy and fall apart with all those ingredients but it somehow stayed together.

There are a wide variety of sides and milkshakes to choose from.

I had fried green beans, which were excellent.

I'd go back.

I ate there tonight and I really had a good burger.

I like the layout of the place and the prices are reasonable.

I had the hawaiian, which had bacon, pineapple, and sriracha coleslaw.

The burger was cooked perfectly and the bun couldn't be any better.

Everything tasted really fresh.

I figured the burger would be sloppy and fall apart with all those ingredients but it somehow stayed together.

There are a wide variety of sides and milkshakes to choose from.

I had fried green beans, which were excellent.

I'd go back.

Wow, you got all of the things I would have tried if I could've gotten half-orders. I did manage to make a giant mess of mine, though. You must have sharper teeth :raz:

M.F.K. Fisher

I'm 215 lbs of season pro.

I'm getting the Widowmaker next time I go:

cheddar, black bean-chorizo chili and fried red onions.

Ahi Burger also sounded good. I might get that.

I'm 215 lbs of season pro.

I'm getting the Widowmaker next time I go:

cheddar, black bean-chorizo chili and fried red onions.

Ahi Burger also sounded good. I might get that.

It's not a true Widowmaker if it doesn't also have bacon and a fried egg on top. Why do you think the Croque Madame has the egg? 'Cause it killed Monsieur.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

We went to Chefburger today for lunch. It was just before noon and relatively quiet. Within 15 minutes the place was nearly full.

We shared a Chefburger with blue cheese and a Big and Tasty Crispy Chicken Burger with Bacon and a Ranch Chipotle Aioli. We had one order of fries. The burger and the chicken were both very good. I forgot to order the chefburger medium rare, but it came out a perfect medium, although the menu says cooked to medium well unless otherwise requested. It was nicely juicy and had good "beefiness." The chicken was indeed big, tasty and crispy. Great flavor and not as messy to eat as it sounds. Both sandwiches were totally enjoyable, some of the best we've had in this town.

2352806944_155e294a6a.jpg

2352806940_b0174759e4.jpg

The fries were disappointing. Not crispy and of the skinny variety. It doesn't appear they are double fried. That might help. We couldn't go over the edge and get a shake, but after seeing other diner's shakes, next time we will order one to share.

The look of the place is great, with fun graphics. The area as a whole is rather weird. There is a giant sign with neons that must look bizarre at night. It's a couple of cowgirls and a guy over a place called the PBR Cowboy Bar. How many bars does one 3 block area need? Apparently 12 with more to come. I can't imagine frequenting the area much, but Chefburger will lure us back. I'd like to try Bristol, too. It looked beautiful.

Edited by maftoul (log)

The area as a whole is rather weird. There is a giant sign with neons that must look bizarre at night. It's a couple of cowgirls and a guy over a place called the PBR Cowboy Bar. How many bars does one 3 block area need? Apparently 12 with more to come.  I can't imagine frequenting the area much, but Chefburger will lure us back. I'd like to try Bristol, too. It looked beautiful.

Glad I'm not alone in this world . . . we've "bet the farm" on that entertainment district and I think it's going to be a ghost town sooner than later. BIG box-style chain places that look "dead" if there aren't at least a hundred patrons, and the density is already silly, let alone when they open the next wave of stuff. This is one time I really, really REALLY want to be wrong.

For that reason, I'm kinda glad Rob's ChefBurger is on the west side of the street. It seems safer there.

Oh, and don't even get me started on that cowgirl thing . . . it reminds me of a cheap imitation of the cowdude they had to 'prune' to put the canopy over the original Strip in Las Vegas.

M.F.K. Fisher

Oh, and don't even get me started on that cowgirl thing . . . it reminds me of a cheap imitation of the cowdude they had to 'prune' to put the canopy over the original Strip in Las Vegas.

That's EXACTLY what I thought!

maftoul. Excellent photo report! Thanks. I will have to try one of those shakes come warmer weather. Did you see what/how many flavors they are offering?

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

maftoul.  Excellent photo report!  Thanks.  I will have to try one of those shakes come warmer weather.  Did you see what/how many flavors they are offering?

I'm not maftoul but they had 8-10 flavors posted when I was there, on a list that looked like it was designed to change frequently. Of note, they have "adult" milkshakes, with one combo being (IIRC) Southern Comfort and Amaretto.

M.F.K. Fisher

I must say, those buns look pretty good: whole wheat? Do they butter them before griddling/toasting them? Are there other type of buns (e.g. sesame)?

Spiked shakes: that could be very dangerous on a hot summer day over-run by the Sprint Arena crowd.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

With no pro team in the Sprint Center, I have to wonder how long all of these fabulous restaurants will be around. The Big XII Tournament is over, and so, I'm afraid, are the crowds.

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."

With no pro team in the Sprint Center, I have to wonder how long all of these fabulous restaurants will be around.  The Big XII Tournament is over, and so, I'm afraid, are the crowds.

It's all too tragic. I don't want to think about it.

I mean, there IS hope brimming on the horizon: GNC and Jos.A.Bank... oh, and "The Flying Saucer Draught Emporium," too!

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I'm reading along this thread, and despite my prejudice against big burgers I'm thinking "Interesting - worth a try the next time I'm passing through KC." Then I see the pic of the fries. The place seemingly takes a lot of pride in their burgers (other than threatening to grill them medium well) and then they go and serve the same old dreary, most likely frozen, shoestring french fries found everywhere. A pity.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I'm reading along this thread, and despite my prejudice against big burgers I'm thinking "Interesting - worth a try the next time I'm passing through KC."  Then I see the pic of the fries.  The place seemingly takes a lot of pride in their burgers (other than threatening to grill them medium well) and then they go and serve the same old dreary, most likely frozen, shoestring french fries found everywhere.  A pity.

Alas, it's like a Catch-22. As much as I WANT to see home-made fries done well, it just ain't happenin'. It's really really difficult and not worth most chefs' time... I mean, I'd rather have frozen *crispy* fries to wet, nasty home-made fries any day of the week.

I know, I know, I'm preaching to the choir. :wink:

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

A lot of the dog places in Chicago manage fresh cut, twice fried french fries. McDonald's, before they got lazy, did. Those places that do them well and, granted it takes some effort, probably get as many customers because of their fries than their burgers.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter