• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Daniel Boulud Coming to Vancouver

tofino

I don't think DB's entry into Vancouver is somehow patronizing or that it means that the local culinary scene is lacking in any way.

As a consumer - I am very intrested to see what he will bring to the table. But then again - I am also excited to see how David Hawksworth's new venture will turn out. And whatever new standalone venture Rob Feenie ends up operating - I'll be there.

I am going to judge the food and service standards at DB on it's own merits. I leave the armchair pschoanalysis to others.

As to Lumiere being some sort of hallowed ground - I don't get that. Yes Rob Feenie did alot to raise standards in Vancouver, but wasn't much of that gleaned from experience gained under DB? Regardless, a restaurant should not be a shrine.

I'm still baffled by the idea that a "foreign" chef being involved in a Vancouver restaurant is somehow insulting. It smacks of some kind of insecurity about the quality of the Van scene (I think this observation was made upthread): "no no, we can't let *New York* competition in! He might upstage us!". It's inexplicable to me precisely because I think Vancouver CAN compete at that level -- that is, Vancouver's dining scene is world-class.

am I being naive or optimistic in thinking that Chef Boulud can bring something to Vancouver without completely erasing (or even trying to) all local history and tradition? I see the change as being symbiotic, not as some kind of hostile invasion.

I don't think the local scene in general is insulted or threatened by DB's arrival. At the intro lunch last week there were quite a few big local names in attendance (so I've read, Fiona was there and has more details). As I recall the list included Hawksworth, Vij, Pino, etc. Apart from Neil Wyles, that is about as grand a list of chefs as you can find in the city. So I think the local industry is actually excited to see what happens.

When it comes to individuals' reactions, though, that is where I think we're seeing the full spectrum: some are very excited, some less so.

I think Boulud's tone about this whole takeover has been patronizing, as in look at us big New Yorkers coming in to show you yobs how it's done. I'll clean up that mess… Daniel Boulud: the cleaner!

If you could provide a quote or something to back this up, that might be helpful. Because I don't think that's an impression that anyone else is getting from the information that is out there.

I guess what gets me most here is what's looking like a complete disregard for the man's work. Boulud is going to Vancouver because Vancouver is a great food city. Correct me if I'm wrong (and as I’m an outsider I may be), but didn't Rob Feenie have a lot to do with that?

I don't think what you expect and what's reasonable here are even close to the same thing. The owners and Feenie did not part on the most amicable of terms and for all intents and purposes, this is a new business venture. Both parties have moved on; why should they promote comparisons between their new chef and Rob Feenie? By your logic, every restaurant should pay homage to Feenie because he was one of many who helped shape the culinary landscape. Like most everything you've said, this is preposterous.

Jason

Editor

EatVancouver.net

Breathe Lesley breathe. This is all good news for the city. We all come on here talking about what was good and bad but it's all about business at the end of the day. When has an executive chef of any major restaurant group gotten their kitchen apron dirty anyway? (I'm kidding...)

We locals all know how marvelous our culinary scene is, but with a big name it draws additional attention from outsiders and world travellers. I'm tickled pink:)

Boulud would have come to Vancouver whether it was through Sidoos or by camping in the restaurant space in Holts.

ahh where's the button for the fries?

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. Sensitive issue.

Here's a (mostly) neutral post:

One of the most inspiring books

I have read about pursuing perfection

in the art of serving dinner is

"The Fourth Star" by Leslie Brenner.

Boulud gave Brenner permission to spend

time in his NY flagship, Daniel, 'undercover'

dressed as a staff member,

with access to most of the secrets and policies

of his restaurant. Fascinating.

It's been too many years since I've been to NY

but I gotta dine at Daniel at least once the next time I go.

Am on the verge of excitement that his influence will

be felt here.

Bob McLeod

VOX BACCULUS HIC VADIS IN VITRIO JUBILIAM

The road goes on forever and the party never ends

A lot of BC foodies would prefer Susur opening a Vancouver restaurant to [...] Rob Feenie.

really? I'm not into chef talk/gossip; is Rob Feenie disliked (as a person)? Is Susur Lee seen (in Vancouver) as a rockstar chef?

A lot of BC foodies would prefer Susur opening a Vancouver restaurant to [...] Rob Feenie.

really? I'm not into chef talk/gossip; is Rob Feenie disliked (as a person)? Is Susur Lee seen (in Vancouver) as a rockstar chef?

I think it's more to do with Susur being Canadian and not a rockstar on par with Oliver & Ramsey. I don't think anyone actively dislikes Rob, just that we've seen his food, so it's a matter of preferring Susur if we had to choose just one.

I think everyone would be happy to see Rob Feenie with his own place again.

It would be very exciting to have Susur come out to Vancouver. We have great Chinese food and we have great West Coast Cuisine - and I think Susur would be able to marry the two in an intelligent and exciting way.

you're right, of course, and I should have specified that I'm baffled at the insecurity displayed by individuals, not by the scene at large.

Endy if I may, some of us in Vancouver may be (consciously or unconsciously) still feeling stung by a similar (not too recent, but for some still painful) experience of a couple of New York hot shots being lured to town, replacing people who, despite their relative failure compared to the newcomers, many locals felt were more than good enough. I'm speaking of Mike Keenan and Mark Messier, who acted like we were lucky to have them and if we didn't realise it it was because we were rubes, and OF COURSE we'd rather have them than the losers they replaced!

And then when they weren't able to produce a result any better than those they replaced, they blamed the market, not themselves.

It's not a precedent or even a pattern, but...

Endy if I may, some of us in Vancouver may be (consciously or unconsciously) still feeling stung by a similar (not too recent, but for some still painful) experience of a couple of New York hot shots being lured to town, replacing people who, despite their relative failure compared to the newcomers, many locals felt were more than good enough.

ah, thank you Anchoress. The comments make more sense now with that context.

• 2 weeks later...

:biggrin:

Those 3/8 (or something) circular booth seats look comfy. I hope they are!

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

• 7 months later...

Wendy Boys has left Lumiere, reported by Alexandra Gill in today's Globe and Mail:

LUMIÈRE'S CELEBRATED pastry chef Wendy Boys has left the restaurant and is now working for the Cactus Club as a consulting chef on special events.

Ms. Boys appeared to have a bright future with Daniel Boulud's Dinex Group of New York, which is busily gearing up for the reopening of Lumière and launch of DB Bistro Moderne Vancouver in early December. "She was a wonderful pastry chef," Mr. Boulud said last week. "We had a little disagreement over what she expected to do for us and what we expected from her."

Cheers,

Anne

yup that and i remember him saying something to the effect that i wasn't up to him  to get along with Dale Mckay it was up to Mckay to get along with him, a tad pretentious and pig- headed if you ask me

No. He is the boss. End of story. If Dale doesn't like him, he can leave. Ms. Boys left for her own reasons. Having worked with Wendy, I know that she was looking forward to the opportunity, but she will succeed wherever she goes.

The point is, the Sidoos brought him in as the clean up guy. They have a mess that they need rectified. When new management takes over in any arena, there are bound to be casualties.