• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Return to Melbourne...

Uh... my kitchen isn't ready yet... building a new home at the moment, the last one was destroyed :angry: Should be done by April though, but I plan to be back in Melbourne for a bit before then, if not just after.

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

Don't you two cook at home or are you made of money?

Who, me? I cook at home almost every night, and it's usually things I can do quickly. Having two kids, it's hard to do anything elaborate.

As for going out, the missus and I would probably dine out together about six times a year. And when we do, we'll go somewhere special.

PCL, on the other hand, is rich beyond comprehension, never wears the same pair of socks twice, and he simply refuse to eat anywhere that doesn't have a Michelin starred chef behind the stoves. In fact, I once had dinner with him and he threw his bowl of pesto across the dining room when he tasted that the olive oil used wasn't a first cold pressing using olives that had been hand picked by virgin girls. He'll have me killed for making this public, but the truth has to come out.

Daniel Chan aka "Shinboners"

You got it wrong Dan... not only had they not bothered to provide oil from olives not picked by virgins, but the crushing of the nuts in the pesto had not been carried out by voluptuous beauties.

And talking about Michelin, the new HK guide kinda sucks... time to head over to THAT forum and raise some hell...

Now, please carry on with regular programming. Don't post about anymore restaurants unless one can pay top dollar!

Should be done by April though, but I plan to be back in Melbourne for a bit before then, if not just after.

If you've got time, you should come over one day on the weekend. I'll get a pigs head and we can have fun cooking it.

• 2 months later...

The other half the kids went away for about a week and a half, so I did a bit of dining. I can't be bothered doing detailed reviews, so here's a quick run down.

Libertine - went there for their cassoulet night. I'm a fan of Libertine, and I was happy with everything except the dessert (I simply picked the wrong one). We went on a Wednesday night, and the downstairs section was full, so it's nice to see them doing well in tough economic times.

Mario's - I haven't been to this Bruswick Street institution in many years. I simply had an eye fillet, and at $25, it was good value. As usual, the atmosphere was great.

The European - This is a place where I've always had great dinners, but this time, it was disappointing. The food just lacked that little bit of sparkle. I went for the roasted rib eye as my main, asked for it to be medium-rate, but it came out medium to well done. Not much flavour in it either. The tiramisu was good though.

Oyster Little Bourke - Outstanding. I enjoyed a truly great rib eye, cooked as to my preferences. A nice mixed leaf salad to go with the steak, and I was a very happy camper. The only thing I didn't like where the pont neuf potatoes, but that's just a personal prefence issue (I still ate them all though). An excellent tiramisu rounded things off nicely.

A very telling state of affairs, my dear friend.

You're alone for the weekend. So you go for a meat fest.

Cassoulet.

And then 3 steaks in succession.

I'm impressed. I'm going for steak tonight. Thanks for the inspiration.

I should also mention that I took La Luna. An excellent dinner in a very family friendly restaurant. Next week, it's Cutler And Co.

A very telling state of affairs, my dear friend.

You're alone for the weekend. So you go for a meat fest.

Cassoulet.

And then 3 steaks in succession.

I'm impressed. I'm going for steak tonight. Thanks for the inspiration.

I should have also mentioned the two t-bones I cooked, and the curry using beef ribs.

• 4 weeks later...

We've had a couple of breakfasts lately at La Luna, and it was all incredibly good. We went there because we'd bought Adrian Richardson's book and been highly impressed with it. Although somehow we managed to get overcharged the second time. We didn't realise until later in the day, but we'd each ordered a $18 dish and a pot of tea, and we were charged $60 something for it. I'm sure we'll forgive them and go back there, though - it would have been an innocent mistake, and the food is just so good :smile:

There Will Be Bloody Marys