• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Liberty Yogurt

bought some of their mediterranean style today and it was amazing, best, creamiest i've ever had here, then i looked at the nutrition label 15g of fat, 250 calories per 175g serving that was like 3 times the fat of their regular style, not even a lot fat version, but man was it ever good!!

bought some of their mediterranean style today and it was amazing, best, creamiest  i've  ever  had here, then i looked at the nutrition label 15g of fat, 250 calories per 175g serving that was like 3 times the fat  of their regular style, not even a lot fat version, but man was it ever good!!

That's my favorite yogurt! I was so excited when they handed some out at the skytrain to students going to SFU. Woo joy! Again one of those "so fat, so good" foods.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

The Liberté dessert series is the greatest yogurt on the planet. And I don't even normally like sweet yogurts.

I once drove to Montreal from Boston and back again in one day, just to fill a couple of coolers with the stuff.

Orange Marzipan, Apple Pie, Coconut... but it was the one with dates and figs that captured my heart forever.

Haven't had any in years, though.

Edited by Verjuice (log)

Oh yes, that Mediteranee line is to die for. I once did a comparison of vanilla flavour between Liberte's Medit., the Low Fat and the Nofat. Of course, Medit. won hands down. The strange thing was that the No Fat was better that the Low Fat.

One thing that I like about Liberte is that they have always been a natural yogurt, as in "Pro-Biotic", which is of course the new catch phrase. They don't even advertise it.

Oooh! Lemon, with the big chunky bits of lemon! I used to only get mine from IGA, but recently Safeway started carrying them too.

I haven't seen Dulce de Leche - where can I find this one?

Oooh!  Lemon, with the big chunky bits of lemon!  I used to only get mine from IGA, but recently Safeway started carrying them too.

I haven't seen Dulce de Leche - where can I find this one?

It's a new flavour. I picked some up at the dairy vendor in Granville Island. I'm sure it'll turn up wherever the Méditérrannée line is stocked.

That's my new fave, for now, but I also especially love the prune and walnut one. I sprinkle a little granola on for a healthy and indulgent snack.

Hmmm.... Dolce de Leche might just give the all time best Liberty version: Mocha, a run for it's money. Anytime you combine the consistency and richness of whipped cream and sour cream with a serious dose of mocha (best served over a large spoon!), you've got a winner. (Sadly, seriously caloric as it's almost impossible to stop eating).

as its quite a bit more expensive than other types( well worth it though) cheapest place i've found is safeway $3.49/ 500 ml, a $ cheaper than anywhere else iv'e seen it, hads anyone seen it for cheaper?

Choices sometimes has sales on Liberty Mediterranean (in addition to the other kinds). My favourite is still the lemon - not too tart, but with just enough sourness in it. It even has bits of lemon peel :wub:

• 2 weeks later...

Just tried the Dulce de Leche version and sorry to say it's a shadow of the greatness that is Liberty Mocha. IMHO: The Dulce de Leche is kind of bland in comparison to the other versions and can't hold a candle to the Haagen Dazs- Dulce de Leche which really kicks butt in that category.

On the positive side....although still tasty, I'll eat this one a lot slower and keep the calories at bay.

I made raita this weekend with Plain Liberty Mediterranean...very very hard not to eat it by the spoonful! The consistency is perfect for any kind of yogurt dip.

Sharon Regehr

Maple Hill Farms

Too funny. My roommates gained the "freshman 15" eating Liberty Mocha when we were at McGill. I kept warning them, "I'm telling you, it's the yoghurt", but they wouldn't listen. Although it has got to be the most delicious yoghurt ever made, I've got a real problem with the fat content. The label should say, "Let's be very clear about this; you can eat this yoghurt or a scoop of ice cream. Six of one, half a dozen of the other."

Just tried the Dulce de Leche version and sorry to say it's a shadow of the greatness that is Liberty Mocha. IMHO: The Dulce de Leche is kind of bland in comparison to the other versions and can't hold a candle to the Haagen Dazs- Dulce de Leche which really kicks butt in that category.

On the positive side....although still tasty, I'll eat this one a lot slower and keep the calories at bay.

Ah, just shows to each their own :raz:

The mocha is my least favourite - the combo of yogurt tang and mocha just don't work for me.

We've got the prune and walnut one on the go now. I throw a handful of Granola King granola on it for a snack. Yummy!

As creamy as it is, there's much less fat content that say, a premium ice cream. Maybe more on par with a gelato. I love the plain for cooking - and it makes a heck of a lassi too!

While I love liberty yogurt, it can be a bit too much when I'm trying to eat healthy.

my other favourite yogurt is Fraser Meadow Yogurt (I've found it at Donald's Market and the IGA by broadway and arbutus).

They manage to keep some of that yogurty tang that I love and it just tastes fresh and natural. It's not too sweet like most yogurts. Just yogurty and awesome tasting.

While I love liberty yogurt, it can be a bit too much when I'm trying to eat healthy.

my other favourite yogurt is Fraser Meadow Yogurt (I've found it at Donald's Market and the IGA by broadway and arbutus).

They manage to keep some of that yogurty tang that I love and it just tastes fresh and natural. It's not too sweet like most yogurts. Just yogurty and awesome tasting.

Is it Fraser Meadow that makes a vanilla-raspberry flavoured one (in a clear container)? I love that one - very light, fresh flavoured and creamy (if a little runny).

Is it Fraser Meadow that makes a vanilla-raspberry flavoured one (in a clear container)? I love that one - very light, fresh flavoured and creamy (if a little runny).

That's the one. They do plain, vanilla, and then a blend of fruits and vanilla.

Yeah, it's a bit runny, but that freshness is unmatched by the sugary alternatives out there. That they're local and organic also makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I just hate that I have to travel across town to get any.