• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DC: Living & Eating near the Pentagon

LizD518

I hope this isn't too off-topic. If so, please PM me with any responses...

My brother and I are going to be relocating to DC in the next few months and are starting to search for homes in the area. I thought I would take a novel approach and ask about the neighborhoods by thier restaurant make-up.

He will be working at the Pentagon and ideally wants a walking or Metro commute! Budget for a for a house / condo will probably by $250k to $300k. I am thinking Arlington, Alexandria and South West, near the new Nationals Stadium are the most likely places that we will look in for homes.

To bring it back to food...some of things we will be looking for are local cheap but good ethnic eats (Indian, Mexican, Thai) for take-out as well as casual fun places to meet friends and bring family. Don't need to be near places with the trendiest restaurants and bars, just "local" places, if that makes sense.

Even more important are grocery stores. I do a lot of shopping at my asian grocery while he shops at Whole Foods almost exclusively. A nice main grocery store (or Whole Foods / Wegmans, similar) as well as access to ethnic markets would be ideal.

Any insights to good / bad areas would be greatly appreciated!

I hope this isn't too off-topic.  If so, please PM me with any responses...

My brother and I are going to be relocating to DC in the next few months and are starting to search for homes in the area.  I thought I would take a novel approach and ask about the neighborhoods by thier restaurant make-up. 

He will be working at the Pentagon and ideally wants a walking or Metro commute!  Budget for a for a house / condo will probably by $250k to $300k.  I am thinking Arlington, Alexandria and South West, near the new Nationals Stadium are the most likely places that we will look in for homes.

To bring it back to food...some of things we will be looking for are local cheap but good ethnic eats (Indian, Mexican, Thai) for take-out as well as casual fun places to meet friends and bring family.  Don't need to be near places with the trendiest restaurants and bars, just "local" places, if that makes sense.

Even more important are grocery stores.  I do a lot of shopping at my asian grocery while he shops at Whole Foods almost exclusively.  A nice main grocery store (or Whole Foods / Wegmans, similar) as well as access to ethnic markets would be ideal.

Any insights to good / bad areas would be greatly appreciated!

Northern VA is home to an incredible array of ethnic restaurants. There's the Eden Center for Vietnamese in Falls Church, Korea town in Annandale, Bolivian in Arlington, El Salvadoran in Arlandria, Arlington.

There are WF stores in Alexandria and Arlington, along with lots of Asian, Hispanic and Mediteranean grocers.

Hope that helps. Let me know if there' anything else I can tell you....btw, I like the way you think! :wink:

Note that whole Monovano is correct, Northern Virginia is a big place and Eden Center (where a had a decent but slightly disappointing meal at Viet Royale yesterday) and Annandale are not exactly just around the corner from the Pentagon. What is just around the corner from the Pentagon is a huge mall and a chance to eat at the California Pizza Kitchen or the Frank&Stein.

My first thought would be to check out the area around Courthouse and Clarendon, which moves you a little closer to Annandale/Eden Center without pulling you too far from Alexandria. A quick shot into the city, as well, and the Arlington/Courthouse farmers market is one of the best in the area. There's a Whole Foods right there, too.

I can't imagine anything that would persuade me to move near the new stadium, btw. That neighborhood was a hellhole before construction (with the exception of a few warehouse-sized bars that could be fun if you didn't get killed walking back to your car) and they ain't exactly planning to include ethnic charm in the post-construction plans.

You might look up Columbia Heights way, a lot of condo projects going bust, maybe you can get a deal, and you're always close to a pupuseria and one of the last in-town Vietnamese markets. I'm psyched about a pizza place that's coming in. And it's a quick Metro shot to the Pentagon, with stops at some of the better restaurant neighborhoods between CH and the Pentagon.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Busboy, what do you think about recommending Crystal City as an option for condo living?

Personally? That place creeps me out. But there's that little strip of restaurants on 23rd St. that's pretty decent, it's close to the Harris Teeter and it has both Jaleo and Bebo, and it's minutes from downtown or Alexandria.

I'm on the pavement

Del Ray section of Alexandria.  Mt. Vernon Ave. is ascendant.  Close to to Pentagon and Old Town.

Hipster/ethnic stuff nearby, too, if I recall?

I'm on the pavement

He will be working at the Pentagon and ideally wants a walking or Metro commute!  Budget for a for a house / condo will probably by $250k to $300k.  I am thinking Arlington, Alexandria and South West, near the new Nationals Stadium are the most likely places that we will look in for homes.

My sister just bought a 2-bedroom condo in Falls Church for 310k, and is nowhere near walking distance to a metro (maybe 2 miles, though). You pay extra $$$ for that location...

Edited by Reignking (log)

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks all for the suggestions / info. I hope to get down to DC in the next month or so to look around. It looks like I won't be moving for at leat a year, although my brother will be relocating in July. Either way, having an idea where to start helps a lot!

I would second the recommendation for the Del Rey - several nice places to eat - bakeries, great cheese shop - small farmers market during the season - ethic groceries off of Mt. Vernon and glebe streets - also relatively close to MOM (My Organic Market) - good luck...

Live and learn. Die and get food. That's the Southern way.