• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Has anyone shopped at La Espanola Meats

Melinda Lee, KNX Radio, on her Food News show just mentioned that this company will soon be offering the acorn-fed Iberico de Bellota Paleta shoulder jamon (ham). This is in addition to other specialty ham products.

I don't know how I have managed to miss this place but this is the first I have heard of it.

They have a web page La Espanola Meats but it is just a one page history with a link to a location map.

I would like to know if it is worth my making the long drive from Lancaster to shop at the store.

If anyone has shopped there, please post information.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

i have been there, and would go again. it is pretty small, and the clerks seemed quite and shy when we first entered the store. but once they saw the three of us ooohing and ahhhing over some chorizos and cheeses, they began to offer us tastes of lots of different things. i don't go there a lot, but if you are combining the trip with someplace else (say, Penzey's in Torrance, which is no more than 10 minutes away), i'd say check it out. i have heard that they make a killer paella, but don't know if that's a special occasion event--there was no cooking happening when we were there.

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

I live in Torrance, and I visit La Española about once or twice a month. I'm hooked on their imported jamon serrano, and my wife loves their domestic jamon. The store has been around since 1982, but I only discovered it about 10 years ago. (Ah, all those missed ham opportunities... :sad:)

As mentioned in the recent L.A. Times article, La Española is one of the first U.S. distributors of the ibérico ham. That's probably due to Jauna's, the owner, strong relationships with Spanish exporters. They are already wholesaling the ibérico, but as of two weeks ago it still was not available through their retail storefront. I assume it'll be for sale any day now, though.

I'm not sure if I would make a special trip to their store just for ham, but if you plan ahead you could pre-order the paella (which is only sold on Saturdays), hit San Pedro for some cevapcici (my recommendation :biggrin:), stop by Cookin' Stuff, Penzeys, an Indian grocery store or two, etc.

ETA: Try this link instead -- http://laespanolameats.com -- you'll be able to see the rest of their site...

Edited by Joe Blowe (log)

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Thanks for the info.

I don't eat seafood but if the paella is the one with chicken and snails, i.e., paella Valenciana, I can have that.

I visit Cookin' Stuff fairly often but have yet to get to Penzeys. I generally combine a visit to Surfas with visits to points further south.

I have a portable fridge in my van for the long trips - makes a huge difference in how much I buy...........

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett